I'm too Cerebral. I think.

Sometimes I can be Subtle McSubtleson.

Some social situations aren’t a problem - mostly ones I’m comfortable with; the more comfortable my surrounding or activity, the better off I am, sure enough. Having people over to my house to watch a movie or play a game - I’m peachy-keen, so long as the people aren’t strangers. I’m better in small groups than large ones, and the longer I’ve known the individuals in the group, the better.

The less familiar the people, surroundings, or activies, the worse off I am. I tend to get very quiet, I notice. I’ve even had total brainlock once or twice - just so overwhelmed by “novelty” that I kinda stop talking and get the deer in the headlights stare.

I’m pretty happy with who I am, by and large, but I would like to be able to be more social, when I so choose, and right now, that option’s … difficult. I’m not going to fall into a neverending spiral of despair if I don’t resolve this, it’s just a limitation I’ve perceived and would like to remove.

And I have no idea how anyone can drink beer. It smells like… well, I’m sure you know.

There are alternatives to beer. Wine has a very theraputic effect.

In moderation, alcohol is a great ice breaker for people who get socially locked up. There are dangers of abuse but most people are fully capable of managing their intake.

As for being cerebral, I don’t think it’s that unusual. My hamsters are constantly engaged. I assumed this was the case for most reasonably intelligent people. Then again, it’s hard to know what it’s like in somebody else’s head.

Social situations are often stressful. Particularly when there are a lot of strangers. If I find myself (never by choice) in a completely foreign environment, I keep my ears open for a conversation on a familiar subject and try to politely join in. At least it’s a push off point for further dialogue.

My best friend has a different approach. He is tall and can make his voice carry without yelling. He’ll basically talk and laugh loudly and say things that are moderately outrageous. That gets people’s attention and they gravitate to him. I, on the other hand, tend to quietly work the room.

But the ultimate test, of course, is who gets laid more. Well, he does. But mine are better quality. :smiley:

I am also very quiet in large groups and much more boisterous and happy in small groups. I don’t really consider this a failing in myself, just Standard Issue for me.

If you want to change it. Well, the quickest way I can think of is watch the people who are the center of the party. Being that requires quick wit, a ready laugh, and at least a small percentage of not caring about the results of what you say.