IMO The Black Hills is doing it right

Mt Rushmore viewed from a small plane from slightly higher (200 feet or so ) and out in front a bit ( 1000 feet ), then it gets real impressive and a sense of size that no picture can give. IMO

Like flying down into the Grand Canyon back when that was legal. You can get a real idea of size and distance that is subtly changed or different that seeing it any other way. Seeing a big enough area and yet taking several minutes to fly at a wall and still not get there, well, somethings I got to do from the air back in the day gave me perspectives that even the best videos done with drones can not duplicate .

YMMV

That may be true (I’ll never find out), but what small fraction of the visitors to Mt. Rushmore are going to go up in a plane to get that view?

Again, that may be true, but same caveat.

But with the Grand Canyon, unlike Mt. Rushmore, all it takes is a 5-minute stroll along any section of rim to take in way more than any photo can capture. If the two aren’t the extremes of value added (or not) by being there rather than Googling photos, they’re pretty close.

There are companies that offer helicopter tours of Mt. Rushmore.

Walk the trail up and around the monument. Don’t just hang out in the visitor center.

If you want to go to a decent bike rally, one you could even bring your kids to, come to one they have here in the Milwaukee area. Stay the hell away from the one in Sturgis. I was there in '96. What a shit hole full of assholes.