In 2 weeks I will receive my last ever Christmas gifts.

My opt out for the “Secret Santa” deal at work is so long standing that it no longer needs to be arranged. Everyone knows that I don’t do it. The funny part is watching the sniping and whining about each other’s gifts, and the fact that five of the 10 people have told me they wish they had opted out too.

I just don’t associate Christmas and presents. I go to work on Christmas. I go early, and send someone home to their family from the day shift. I spend the time with those of my clients that are not away on visits with family. It’s a nice quiet day, since the morning was filled with the whole open presents thing, and that is now over. Everyone is wearing sweaters we will never see again, and scarves no one will ever wear again. And the knit hats! Bottles and bottles of after shave, and cheap perfume! Christmas music playing on every available radio!

I go around turning off radios, or at least tuning them to all the same station, if anyone is actually listening. I smile, and approve of each lovely gift, and congratulate everyone. I put away unopened packages of yet another iteration of Christmas Cookies, and later, throw away the ravaged remains of waaaaay to much food. I take the calls that someone will be late to work on night shift, and stay late to wait for them.

It’s a tradition. It’s how I spend Christmas. I am happy with it. It is a celebration of the Birth of Christ. For me, it is a celebration of the day I became a Christian, Thirty years ago, on Christmas day. It’s a religious thing.

Merry Christmas everyone. Really.

Tris