In Memoriam: A Few Words About People You Miss

Paw Paw, you joined Honey several years ago, but I ache with missing you. The weeks I spent visiting with you every summer are cherished memories. I remember sitting on your lap while you yelled at the Longhorns and the Cowboys on TV, and yelling along with you. I remember how you used to always pretend that the brakes had failed in your truck when we went down the big hill by your house, and how I pretended to fall for it every time, and we screamed together while we rolled down the hill. I remember the joy you took in caring for your yard and working at your business, and your despair when your health kept you from it at the end. I will always love you.

Granny, it’s been years since you recognized me, and some time since you could even speak to me, but I remember you as you were, not as you are now. I remember your tiny little house out in the country, sitting on the front porch and waving at the occasional truck that drove by. I still remember the names for the wildflowers and the birds that you taught me, and think of you whenever I work in my garden - how you loved to be surrounded by pretty growing things. I remember your jokes as you would pick the ticks off me after an afternoon of running around in the woods behind the house, and your patience with me when I was afraid of the outhouse. I remember picking dewberries together, eating more than I saved, the wonderful cobbler you made with the leftovers and the calamine lotion you put on the scratches from the thorns. I remember your incomparable chocolate pie, and the “pie crust cookies” you made with the extra dough - just for me! I remember being rocked to sleep on your lap as you sang lullabyes to me. I remember your unconditional love. It breaks my heart to see you as you are now, but I remember the woman you were. And I love you.

Granpa T: Even to this day I can’t have a mint and not think of you. Nearly 30 years now without you. How I wish you were here.

My best friend: 16 1/2 years on and I just find out the story behind your murder. Damn. To think I should have been there with you that night but the people I was babysitting for were late coming home. I pray you have found peace my friend.

Dad: Can you believe it’s been nearly 6 months since you passed away? I am glad you are no longer in pain. Not a day goes by though that you do not cross my mind. Occasinally even saying to myself “gee I’ll have to ask dad about that” then remember you are no longer there to ask. How you are missed.

My babies: What can I say. You were all special and can only beg forgiveness that my body could not sustain your lives. You were all strong and tried hard, but it was me who failed you. Perhaps one day I will be granted the privilege of carrying you through into this world. Perhaps. We can only hope.

To my friends, a toast!

I’ve grown up all over the world, lived most of my life 8000 kms from my roots, and never known anyone well outside of my family for more than 5 years at a stretch. Even so I became close to all of you, you all made life hilarious even when the realities of location were more like peering over the edge into hell, the extremes of human pain and suffering highlighted by our separation from it by blind luck. I think we all came to learn from it, we’ve all become better from it, and you all are the best friends this travelling boy could have had. “The Merry Blues” is playing, the first pint of every night at the pub is dedicated to you all, and I wish you all the very best, wherever you’ve all ended up!