In what way is Serena Williams' "catsuit" disprespectful of the game?

I disagree. And other female contestants are wearing spandex and tank tops and all sorts. Singling out this ONE player doesn’t make sense.

They can introduce a dress code. What they can’t do is present any reason why wearing that was "disrespectful’ to anyone. They’ve disrespected HER by making that accusation without any basis. She wore it for valid medical reasons.

Point me to one example of another pro tennis player wearing a catsuit.

I agree. And I have little doubt their motives are less than pure here. But dress codes are valid and this catsuit is absolutely far outside the norm.

Why? Just because she’s the only one doesn’t make it any less suitable for tennis. Besides, the others wear one-offs, are their outfits unsuitable just because they aren’t exactly the same as somebody else?

Did you not see this? (Post 16)

Brian

It’s an individual sport. You don’t need to wear a uniform to tell the players apart. I say if she wants to wear a pantsuit, skirt, blue jeans or burka let her. What difference does it make?

If it was a matter of hip-waist ratio, Arantxa Sánchez Vicario and specially her usual doubles partner Conchita Martínez would have been quite offensive as well.

Nava, whose bum is black according to those people at Levi’s.

While I think the whole Serena Williams ado is male idiocy at its finest, to be complete, Anne White actually was asked to wear something else the next day (the match was played over two days due to darkness) because her outfit was deemed a distraction.

I know she’s way beyond school age. My point is that some people don’t like tight clothing just like they don’t like a lot of skin showing.

First of all, contrary to a lot of posts on social media, it is NOT just Serena’s “cat suit”. It’s any and all of them. Did anyone read the actual statement of the French tennis confederation?

Serena’s statement:

Expanding on her relationship with Giudicelli, she [Serena] said: “The president of the French Federation, he’s been really amazing. He’s been so easy to talk to. My whole team is basically French, so we have a wonderful relationship. I’m sure we would come to an understanding and everything will be OK. Yeah, so it wouldn’t be a big deal. He’s a really great guy.”

Jasmine, I don’t think most people are suggesting the rule change is solely going to impact Serena. But the President specifically called out Serena as someone whose clothing choice is disrespectful to the game without providing ANY specifics about what was wrong with her outfit. Which is why a lot of people feel this comment is more about his dislike of Serena or her physique than about protecting the game.

I’m glad that Serena chose to be classy about her response. I’m not sure it does anything to change the idea that this guy sounded like a total jackass in his statement.

I don’t see how it makes a lick of difference. I assumed it didn’t only apply to Serena (that would make no sense), and the rule seems just as idiotic to me.

I think this is coming from the same place as the French law that would ban women from wear full body suits at the beach. That is, a combination of sexism, racism, and religious intolerance. It makes France look as backward as Russia. Hopefully less bigoted heads will prevail over this.

Personally, I think the dress code imposed by Wimbledon is just as demeaning. I wish the athletes would boycott until these tournaments show the respect these professionals deserve. But I know it’s hard to put principle ahead of money. Maybe this latest disrespectful official will push the issue forward.

Those look like Long John underwear. I don’t care what sport you compete in or what race or gender you are, that’s just a bad look. :stuck_out_tongue:

Serena on the other hand looked fine, more professional than a typical female tennis player.

My first thought is that she looks like she would get over-heated in that outfit. My second thought is, if Ms. Williams doesn’t have a problem with the dress code, I don’t see why I should. If she wants to argue medical necessity, that is another matter, but she doesn’t seem to be doing so.

I assume other tournaments have different dress codes. ISTM that Serena Williams is going to boost attendance and viewership in any tournament she enters, so she isn’t entirely at the mercy of the officials.

I don’t follow tennis, so I don’t have much invested in the situation. The outfit is not offensive, at least to me, nor is it particularly attractive. I wouldn’t classify her as eye candy no matter what she wears, but she is a great tennis player, and that’s supposed to be why she is in tournaments.

Regards,
Shodan

There is a much better way the FO could have done this. “We are instituting a new dress code. Here is what players are allowed to wear.” Not calling out anyone, not accusing anyone of disrespecting the sport.

So why did he do it the way he did?

“Mon Dieu, this outfit is making it look like a competition of physical athleticism, not a bourgeois leisure pastime!”

I do suppose that they are trying to “Wimbledon up” their brand, having had nightmares of players one day showing up in all NASCAR-ed up bodysuits advertising everything under the sun. But Jeebus was the guy inartful about saying it. I suppose he fell for the common pitfall of believing you **have **to provide an explanation why, when you could just say “we decided we want to have a dress code, 'cause we want to”.

Did anybody link to it? 'Cause all I’ve seen is the article that doesn’t actually give the dress code.

“Sir, why are you instituting a dress code?”

Still, the example can state what bothers them about the “catsuit” - is it because it’s black, because it’s not a tiny skirt, because it’s tight, because it has a Nike logo on it, or what? What is “disrespectful”? If he can’t articulate it, then it is going to invite speculation it’s about her and not any particular issue with clothing per se.

It’s that big ole booty that those stuffy old white men are offended about.

Yes, this, absolutely this. I don’t have any issue at all with them implementing a dress code. I do have a problem with them saying there was anything wrong with Serena’s outfit and MOSTLY with accusing her of disrespecting anything or anyone by wearing it.

I went to a catholic girls’ school. I have visions of the officials getting the rulers out to measure the distance between the skirt of your dress and your knees (yes, they really did that :D). “Our” nuns weren’t that bad, “too short” was their only problem, their “sister school” was much worse, they had “regulation undies” and petticoats, and the nuns would stand outside as the girls left school to check.

I’m interested to see what restraints will be imposed on the male players…

Not disrespectful. You just want to highlight a difference, and some people see that as a weakness.