In what ways do you talk to yourself?

I talk to the animals all the time. Not like deep conversations, but I’ll run around the house saying, “Toto! it’s cold in here!” or “You know what, Toto? I wish I didn’t have homework.”

Also, if I’m tired and find myself trying to work but not absorbing or processing any information, I’ll whisper or mutter it aloud to myself to get myself focused again.

And I tend to say self-depracating stuff aloud to myself. “god, I’m such a stupid idiot” if I do something wrong, or “how did I get so fat and ugly?” looking in the mirror.

I “talk” to myself all the time internally. I don’t say it out loud, but I do the potential conversations/changing past conversations, I narrate my life like it’s a documentary (and even sometimes from other people’s points of view… like I pretend they actually might have noticed me and try to guess what they might have been thinking) too…

I also make up stories and halfway pretend I’m living them. It’s childish, I know. i’ve been doing it since I was a tiny little kid. Like I walk down the street and pretend my name is Gertrude and I came here in a time machine and I’m really actually tall and thin and gorgeous and I have a brother and a horse and I’m not walking to school- I’m walking to a stable somewhee n the middle of the city to ride my horse. And if someone is mean to me, then hah. it’s okay becuase they don’t know that I’m really named Gertrude and I’m really tall and thin and have a much more exciting life than they have.

I tend to say, “oh gigi, silly girl” and laugh at myself when I mess up.

I also talk out loud to organize myself. It makes me concentrate on my next task or I will wander off. And when I say “Okay, let’s get going” it energizes me to launch into the next step.

I talk to my cats and my stuffed animals. I usually say reassuring, loving things to the stuffed animals, and things like, “I love you. Why are you so dumb and annoying?” to the cats. And I make up voices and answer back. I recite poetry when doing boring jobs.

I am 27. Is it wrong to talk to your stuffed animals when you’re technically an adult?

Yes, it’s technically wrong. I do it only when there is a child present to be entertained by the conversation. Or, if I’m hopelessly depressed because the world has just turned black. But even then it’s still technically wrong.

Well, fine, I’ll remain a child. If I’m lucky, this will mean that my laundry and cleaning will now be done by my parents again.

(bolding mine)

Whew! Thank you for that. I thought I was crazy for doing this. I probably still am though because sometimes I get into long drawn out debates with my friends inside my head.

It’s like, I’ll posit a debate then I would answer how I think my friend would answer (since obviously he or she isn’t there). Then this crazy-ness just goes on back and forth.

I also manage to crack myself up quiote often. (Hey I’m my own best fan) I’m pretty sure my coworkers think I’m on drugs because from their perspective I’m just spontaniously laughing for no reason at all.

I list the stuff in my pockets when I’m getting ready to leave, if I’m not taking my purse. Something like, “Phone, keys, wallet…OK, [Telperien’s real name], time to go.” Yes, I call myself by name. A lot. I talk back to the tv and the radio. I replay conversations I’ve had. I rehearse conversations I plan on having. I argue with myself. When playing computer games, since the ones I play have lots of dialogue, I often say the dialogue bits aloud.

Even on a day when I’ve spoken to no other people, I’ll always have said something, because I always talk to myself.

I chide myself for doing stupid things when I’m alone. I’ve been more thoroughly and creatively insulted by myself than by anyone else I’ve ever met, I think.

When I’m in what I think of as “writing mode”, I tend to get fragments of scenes and conversations showing up unannounced in my mind. Sometimes it’s an entire conversation or a detailed image, sometimes it’s just a single evocative phrase. I say them out loud–both narrative and dialogue–to find out how they sound and to fix them in my memory. “Writing mode” can happen anywhere and any time, and most of the fragments that turn up this way never get developed into anything.

Finally, when facing a complex decision, I’ll occasionally summarize the pros and cons of each option aloud. It stops me from mentally circling around the decision, and sometimes leads to a better idea. I have a similar habit in meetings, when a discussion starts going in circles.

I would probably quit talking to my cat if he would quit talking back. :dubious:
He’s half Siamese so he always has something to say.

My sister pointed out the other week that I talk to myself a lot when trying to get my desk organized. I think it’s a matter of if I say it out loud, I can keep it straight in my head what I’m doing.

Yeah, I had a friend whose cat was a great conversationalist. My friend used to play trivia with the cat.

He’d say, “Would you rather have a can of foor now or later?”

The cat would reply, “Now.”

He would ask, “What was the name of the chairman who led China through its Great Leap Forward?”

The cat would answer, “Mao.”

He would then say, “What is another word for a fight?”

The cat knew that one, too: “Row.”

Damned brilliant, that cat was. I thought it was unique until I started doing triva quizzes with my dog.

“What is the structure on top of a house called?”

“Roof, roof!”

“That’s right. What sort of vegetable is a potato?”

“Root, root!” (Though she does have a little trouble annunciating the “t” sound.)

“What is the texture of a brick?”

“Rough, rough!”

I chant verb conjugations in Spanish to myself. “Ir: to go. Voy, vas, va, vamos, van. Fui, fuiste, fue, fuemos, fueron. Iba, ibas, iba, ibamos, iban. Iré, irás, irá, iremos, irán. Vaya, vayas, vaya, vayamos, vayan. Fuera, fueras, fuera, fuéramos, fueran. Ve tú, no vayas tú, vaya Ud., vayamos nosotros, vayan Uds. Yendo. Ido.” Forget vosotros!

Unfortunately, I also talk to myself in English a lot, especially when I’m studying or writing a paper. So does my roommate, so sometimes it sounds like we’re having a conversation, but we’re not. We’re talking about totally different things, and neither one of us is listening to the other.

I talk to myself constantly. If I’m not talking to myself, I’m talking to the furniture, the cats, the walls, the computer, the computer game, my dinner… whatever. Heh. And I’m a total sociophobe.

Anyway, I have a very weird habit of inventing 30 second operas and/or broadway tunes as I say things, as well. And I hate musicals. Yet I’m the one that bursts into song at opportune moments. Usually when I’m alone, however. I ramble on to myself often, as well, without even thinking about the idiot words flowing from my mouth. It often won’t be until I pop out with something in a manner that sounds like Jon Lovitz that I will realise what goofy-ass thing I was saying: “RESEARCH! It’s what’s for diiiinnnerrrrrr!”

W.T.F., Stasia, seriously? I scare myself sometimes. I mean, I hear trumpet fanfare in my head as I eat sandwiches (they have to be good sandwiches, though). Maybe talking to myself is the least of my problems.

Maybe the sociophobe thing makes perfect sense.

Mutter.

I tried talking to my dog that way. I showed my mom-

“hey mom! look! Toto’s the smartest dog in the world!”

“oh really?”

“yeah! look- hey Toto, who was the greatest baseball player of all time?”

“Ruth! ruth!”

“oh Dorothy. stop being silly. I have things to do. You and Toto go do something else.”

we went outside and sat on the steps of the porch. After a few seconds, Toto looked at me and said, “Joe DiMaggio?”

My sister has become notorious for answering her own questions out loud in a voice completely different from her own. Its a habit she picked up from one of her high school teachers whom she had several classes with, and now she does it without even realizing it.

The most entertaining example I can recall is when she was calling her college roommate for the first time to talk before they moved in together. I happened to be in the room at the time and after she hung up I asked her if she was aware that she had been talking to herself for about half the conversation, her eyes got quite large before she burried her face in her hands scolding herself. I was not at all suprised that her roommate later admitted to being rather wierded out by that first phone call, though I suppose when you are getting to know some one it may just be better to jump in the deep end and not bother with the wading pool.