Inappropriate cashier behavior

1. Give manager information about concerns.

2. Manager takes action as manager feels is appropriate.

That seems to be what happened. Seems like a reasonable thing to me.

Exactly. I think some people are thrown off by the “inappropriate” part. The point (at least to me) is not *what *she was talking about in this case, but the fact that her running her mouth was holding up the line. I’m a friendly person and would much rather have a chatty cashier than some dead eyed drone, but only if she can chat and do her job at the same time.

I’m going to weigh in on the “I don’t need to be held up listening to this nonsense” side.

I’d likely have told her off myself, but I don’t see a problem complaining to the manager. She needs to be more careful with her topics of conversation while she is on company time.

It must get tiring to be so offended all the time.

You seem to be managing in this thread. :wink:

Some people find this to be an issue that gets to them. Others, like you, may not. It’s up to the store manager to decide what to do in a situation like this, and that appears to be what happened.

It’s a huge consignment resale store, and I go there all the time. I’ll let y’all know if I see her there again.

Yeah, you summed it up better than I could. To those who are again gleefully cheering about how the OP may have gotten the cashier in trouble or fired for not doing her job, I wonder how many of you have ever taken a brief time out for a chat at work, or say, spent any time on SDMB while you were supposed to be working.

Not comparable. Well, perhaps the part about fucking off on company time; yes, guilty as charged. But there is no one directly in front of me waiting for me to do my job, not to mention having to listen to my possibly inappropriate conversation while doing it (again, I don’t care what she was talking about). I’m not necessarily cheering for someone to lose her job. I’d just as soon see her change her ways. She remains employed, doesn’t piss of customers and doesn’t make the store look bad. It’s a win win win situation.

If she lost her job, because you turned her in, will you bring her some food?

Maybe drop by her house and cheer her up?

Context is everything. If your house were on fire, would you mind if the firefighters took a brief time out for a chat at work before responding?

After all, it’s perfectly ok if they drop the hose, turn to each other and start ragging on their exes, right? None of our business to be unhappy about it?

I can’t speak for LWIBR, but if I had to guess, I’d bet that comment was aimed at more than just this thread.

Was this in the South? 'Cause around here, that’s just how things are done.

Years ago, when my sister’s kids were little, I carried their pictures around in a little keychain, which also had my frequent buyer card for the grocery store. When I went to pay for groceries, I’d grab my keys to scan the card. I shopped at a weird time and the cashier had gotten familiar with me, and one day she asked if the pictures were of my kids. I said no, they’re my sisters and we chuckled about how darn cute they are and went on with life.

Then my sister visited me from out of state and we had to stop by that same store to pick up a few things. The cashier looked at her and started gushing, “OH, is THIS your sister? Ma’am, your kids are sooo cute! It’s so nice to meet you.” And on and on and on, as we do in the South. We walked out and my sister turned to me, with her little midwestern accent and said, “Who the fuck was that woman and why does she know my kids?” I had to explain to her that it’s just the nature of how people are in the South. We see each other often enough, we’ll start to stop and talk a spell whenever we see you.

That said, I’d still be annoyed as hell if I were the customer waiting behind the customer the cashier is having a little chat with. So I hope the cashier was simply reprimanded and given the recommendation to keep the pleasant chitchat short and sweet.

If she lost her job, it’s because she decided not to actually do her job, and to ignore direct instructions from her manager. Funny how, for some people, nothing that goes wrong is EVER their own fault…

It’s not a private conversation if people standing in line for your register can hear it. It’s very reasonable not to want to get an earful of TMI from store employees, and blaming the person who had to hear it for ‘eavesdropping’ is just absurd.

I missed the gleeful celebrations of the poor women’s loss of employment.:rolleyes:

The tattoos and the content of the conversation are completely irrelevant to the complaint or should have been. If there’s just the one cashier line open and the cashier is chatting away, I’d be a bit miffed, especially if I was in a hurry. But if another cashier came along and opened up his or her line, I wouldn’t care in the slightest.

Even when miffed I wouldn’t report such a thing. I think you let the tattoos and the ex in prison sway your judgement on this one, nearwildheaven. You sound much more put off by the person than having to wait in line. You don’t get to be the judge of what’s appropriate conversation in public.

In that case, the cashier might be on work release from the system, or placed there by an institution. Consignment shops often employ staff that cannot get work anywhere else owing to social or behavioral issues.

Yeah, I have a lot of patients who make that claim.

If that’s the case here, the manager might have been glad to hear the OP’s complaint, so that she could use it as a teaching moment with the cashier.

Seriously.

And he forget to tell us if she was fat.