Inappropriate religious content? (Internal dissemination, public agency)

That’s right, boy. Shut your uppity mouth and get to the back of the bus.

I think we all remember when Rosa Parks bravely sent an anonymous letter to the bus company protesting their discriminatory policies, and in doing so changed history.

Maybe, but I still think this is crossing a line.

I wouldn’t object if my office newsletter mentioned that (hypothetically) St. Martin’s Lutheran Church is holding a dinner to raise the cash to turn one of their buildings into a homeless shelter. I wouldn’t object if my agency website mentioned that Temple Beth Sinai synagogue is running a big raffle to raise money for a soup kitchen they operate.

But if Queen of Angels parish is holding a fundraiser for expansion, for fixing their leaky roof, or just for general parish expenses… no, that strikes me as inappropriate.

How about “if you feel strongly enough about it to do something, don’t lament the consequences” - I think that’s more in line with what I had in mind. Or did you not read the part where I said that taking a stand isn’t going to be consequence free? Or do you just like knee-jerk reacting without substantive contributions?

If I were a betting man…

:eek: You said you work for a public agency and you start each cookout with a prayer? I’d never go back again, I’d be so uncomfortable. And if someone asked me, I’d definitely say, “I’m made uncomfortable with the prayer as I am not Christian”.

Where do people get off thinking this stuff is OK? Everybody wants to be exclusionary. :mad: Well, enjoy your homogeonous gathering then!

See, that’s why above I said “let it die.” Because if the majority of folks are of a particular religion and want to say a little prayer before eating, then let them. Why would that make you uncomfortable?

I’ve been to churches for weddings, for funerals, for baptisms: heck two out of the three above were for me and my kids. But you don’t need to do anything other than be polite and perhaps bow your head if required. I never follow along with the prayer and if anyone asks (which they never do) I would explain my atheism.

But really, being courteous at any religious ceremony is all that’s expected.

I do get the conflict in interest being that it’s a public agency, but it’s nothing that would cause me any concern. I’d much rather bow my head and enjoy the BBQ than be a trouble maker. I don’t gain anything by complaining about a 30 second (or whatever) prayer that I can just bluff my way through.

How am I not letting them? I am just not going. Nowhere in my post did I say I was going to, in any way, stop them. And I wouldn’t even bring it up until someone actually asked me, but at that moment, I would answer truthfully. Even in that particular comment I never explained my atheism.

And it would make me uncomfortable because my culture, religion, and ethnicty is already constantly submerged in a sea of Western culture. I accept this as a part of living here but I rather thought being able to feel uncomfortable about it was part of the bonuses of living here.

ETA: I go to churches, mosques, temples, and synagogues without any problem. It is the public agency and the fact that it’s my employer that is the problem.

Sorry it was Sicks Ate who said he was thinking of bringing this up anonymously, which would probably result in the prayer being banned. I get the conflict. I just wouldn’t be the trouble maker over such an inconsequential thing as saying a little prayer. Shrug.

I actually understand his point, too. But I’m already the odd one, the different one, and will always be, so while I will try not to participate I also try not to make waves.

I get it. Well, I’m a white male, so maybe I’ll never completely get it, but, yeah I’m not one to make waves at work over little things either. And an occasional email or a prayer at a BBQ are really low on my list of things to worry about.

Of course I don’t think any company in Canada would be holding prayer sessions before meals, not in the last 30 years or so anyway.

+1.

Wonder how many of the “just go with it” crowd would be offering the same advice if those involved started pulling out prayer mats and offering up to Allah.

It’s not harmless. It’s making OP uncomfortable, and inappropriate in the workplace – especially a public agency. It’s not pursuit of learning in the spirit of celebrating cultural diversity. It’s a group of people who think the same way - and they are free to keep thinking that way, outside of work. They aren’t holding OP hostage, but they are making some mighty entitled assumptions.

OP, if you speak up, there probably will be consequences. Wish I could say it wouldn’t lead to loss of job, but never underestimate the power of snide self-righteousness, multiplied by the size of the group. Be exceedingly courteous in your request, and exceedingly careful in documenting any negative fallout, if you decide it’s important enough to speak up.

I work at a privately held company and folks are sending around company-wide emails regarding today’s Supreme Court decision on gay marriage. Although I happen to agree with everyone’s (positive) commentary, I do feel it’s inappropriate in a work setting. This stuff works both ways.

No, nobody said taking a stand is going to be consequence free. In fact, if you weren’t in such a hurry to snark you would see that I am aware there might be consequences, but I can probably limit or eliminate them.
Aww, it’s just a widdle prayer? Not gonna hurt me? It’s inappropriate and exclusive. Is it gonna hurt them to just shut up and not friggin’ pray before they eat their hot dog? No.

Actually, I do something like this. I show up to eat at least 10 minutes after the meal is announced so I don’t even have to ignore the prayer. Ditto the employee meetings that begin with a prayer…show up late to those.
Fortunately, I guess, I wasn’t able to attend yesterday because I was out of the office.

I’m not at church, and neither are they. They’re at work. They wanna pray at their desk before they come eat? Great, I won’ t bother them while they do that.

Employee meetings that begin with a prayer!

: despairs :

From the wording in the OP, I understand that the church is already built and the request is to help the parish, that is, for charity (there may be some money spent on sunday school supplies as well, but otherwise it should be the kind of stuff that falls under the “charity” umbrella).

It sounds like the attachment was intended for dissemination among a different target (the local parish’ parishioners, the local RCC leaflet, that kind of thing); either the person who sent it around the workplace or the one who wrote are idiots, otherwise, because even if the request is appropriate (which I can’t tell, back in the US we received quite a few company emails which would have been inappropriate or illegal in France, Germany, the UK or Spain but which the Americans though proper), its wording isn’t.

Yeah, now we’re starting to venture into “fuck that” territory. An optional BBQ is one thing: an employee meeting? No way.

At my workplace, every food-related company gathering begins with a prayer…I simply don’t participate. I also have an extensive email filter that snags anything containing any Christian Buzzwords (for some reason, I never get political emails, so I don’t have a filter for those). Company policy says that any fundraising has to be done indirectly – you can leave a flyer in the break room, but you can’t send out a mass email or approach people. (This one gets violated frequently with no consequences.)

Why don’t I take a stand on this? I’m already a bit of a “bad gal” for objecting to being called “honey” or “dear” or “sweetheart” and so on by the guys in the shop and the warehouse. I figure it’s best if I only stir up one hornet’s nest at the time.

How bad must those meetings be? Dear Lord, please bless me and guide me as I venture into the Valley of Death of Meetings. Please allow me to endure for the forty-seven hours my boss will talk about the direction this company is going in. :smiley:

It’s my understanding that a previous incarnation of my company had a group in upper management that would respond to an emergency or a tough deadline by gathering in the conference room to pray.

Sorry, I could have been less snarky, this is true. I just never have a problem with people doing things of this nature because, quite simply, I’m usually polite and even join in, in form if not function. Prayer or overt displays of Religiousity don’t typically bother me, no matter the denomination or religion. For the record, I’m agnostic.

For the most part though I do agree that it would be inappropriate in a formal work setting and I would have a problem with it too, in that context - but at some kind of gathering of co-workers outside of work (especially if not mandatory) I have no problem with it.