Inauspicious roles early in their careers...

He dies inside when the wind blow the wrong say. :smiley:

Yeah but was Leonard Nimoy ever really all that?

Michelle Pfeiffer in AWOTM?

George Clooney in Attack ( or was it Return) of the Killer Tomatoes.

Jack Nicholson in TWO episodes of The Andy Griffith Show.

Mary Tyler Moore as the receptionist in Richard Diamond, Private Detective – where only her legs were ever shown.

Tom Hanks as a bully in Happy Days.

Sorry, Clooney’s first role was in, “And They’re Off,” (he was an extra).“Return Of…Tomatoes” was his fourth.

The best performance in AWOTM was Percy Rodriguez (Dr. Daystrom In ST:TOS) as a “Video Pirate.” Swashbuckler spoof where PR’s ship plunders VHS tapes. When they plug one in, the FBI warning comes up and he delivers my favorite line (it’s my go-to phrase): Oh, I’m Soooo Scaaaaared. Maniacal laughter ensues.

Cinema Sins just did “Everything Wrong With Twister”. One of the things they pointed out was Philip Seymour Hoffman’s appearance: “Hard to believe but this guy is going to be a respected actor in a couple of years.”

I don’t see why: it was a perfectly fine role in an very good movie.

We all have our opinions I suppose.

All excellent choices with which I have no quarrels but…

Jim Carrey had already been the lead in a TV series before Once BittenThe Duck Factory. Despite that, he was relegated to minor roles in the movies. He also played one of the aliens in Earth Girls are Easy. Even years later, when they ran that movie on Comedy Central, they didn’t mention his name in the promos – just Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis’ They didn’t mention Damon Wayans, either. He played the third alien.

Damon Wayans and Carrey arguably got the last laugh five years later when they were on In Living Color together, and they both got significantly raised profiles. It was after that, that Carrey started getting high profile movie roles.

I thought so, too. And he really doesn’t fit the topic. He had featured roles in movies for years before Alien Nation, including starring in The Princess Bride the year previously. It’s odd that you would mention him in this thread.

Speaking of Goldblum…hard to top all the young talent featured in such minor roles in “Death Wish”

Speaking of short lived TV series, D.L. Hughley’s second acting credit was as a regular in “Double Rush”. Thirteen episodes about a bicycle messenger company in NYC.

I rewatched Gattaca a few weeks ago, and was surprised to realize that the delivery nurse who reads off the genetic “verdict” for Ethan Hawke’s character was Maya Rudolf, better known for comedic parts on SNL and Bridesmaids.

Heather Locklear was the girl who was so impressed by Faberge shampoo she told two friends about it…

Matthew McConaughey and Renee Zellweger were both in Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation.

A little bout of insomnia tonight, I was flipping through youtube videos and stumbled upon this little gem starring the future Bryan Batt (Sal Romano from “Mad Men”) plugging Vh1.

I would have been very surprised if Amazon Women on the Moon didn’t have at least one actor reaching their peak just now. That was not some cheap, obscure little film. It had many moderately well known younger actors. It had many older actors who did a lot of secondary roles. There were no really big names (for the times), but it had a lot of pretty good people. The reviews for the film at the time it came out seemed to mostly say that these were some good actors and some interesting ideas for skits, but the skits seemed to go nowhere and the film was a disappointment.

I was stunned to learn that Invasion of the Bee Girls was written by the same guy who would later go on to write the even-numbered Star Trek films.

Piranha Part Two: The Spawning was the directorial debut of one James Cameron, IIRC. The way I understand the story goes is that the movie was a trainwreck, and he was the highest placed guy in the production crew who couldn’t afford to quit and find another job (assistant director of Cinematography or something like that).

Harrison Ford as a hotel messenger in “Dead Heat On a Merry-Go-Round.” 1966

Don’t forget Kevin Costner as Alex in The Big Chill: they filmed scenes set before his death, looked 'em over, and said, well, that adds nothing of value; delete everything he was in, except, y’know, that part where he plays a corpse. So then he turned thirty, with nothing to show for it but the occasional credit as Frat Boy #1 – or being uncredited, as Man In Alley – and et cetera, and then, for about six years there, superstardom.