Income Discrimination: The Last Civil Rights Barrier?

Well, the difference is that with RTO, you have a couch for those 20 weeks. You pay an insane amount for the privilege, but I guess it’s better than sitting on the floor.

Sheesh. I worked 48 hours per week at two jobs, and carried 19 credit-hours in honors courses.

And minimum wage was less than $6.75 then.

[quite]
And yes, you could go to a state or community college. But then you are admitting- RICH PEOPLE HAVE SIGNIFIGANTLY BETTER ACCESS TO BETTER EDUCATION THAN THE POOR.
[/quote]

You’re an idiot. I went to a state school. My degree was good enough to get me into law school. In what way do you contend a state school cripples its graduates?

Bricker, last time I checked,even sven was working at three low-wage, basically non-skilled jobs just trying to keep body and soul together, and she’s a college graduate.

So, her hard-earned education at a state college obviously hasn’t gained her the employment opportunities she hoped it would. The economy has changed, and, hmm, maybe if she had been able to go to a better school, she might have a decent shot at finding a job that would pay a wage/salary a single gal with (IIRC, tell me if I’m wrong, sven) no dependents could, you know, live on?

She lives in the real world. Best not be calling her an idiot, hmm?

You are aware that a bachelors degree from any school hardly ever “gains” someone the employment opportunities that they hoped aren’t you? See, that degree qualifies you for a whole range of jobs that you never have been considered for if you didn’t have it. However, it is up to you, the new graduate, to go out and convince someone to hire you and give you a chance. That isn’t easy. You might have to sacrifice for a little while. You might have to take a job that is less than you hoped but has great potential for advancement. A lot of people move to other areas to find a lower cost of living and to broaden their prospects. That is what it takes. If you want to live like a starving artist, that is fine, but you have to realize that it is due to your own decision and not any particular education that you received.

I absolutely apologize. It was a terrible breach of GD rules, and I can only imagine that I must have felt I was in the Pit. Surely that proves the idiot in this scenario is me.

I remain at odds with her position, however, but the name-calling was uncalled-for.

To be fair, Sven got her degree in Film. I think I even saw her once post that she was ok with the fact that she would have less financial opportunities with this degree because she was used to living poor and would rather follow her dream and be poor. I don’t know if anyone really hires film graduates even if they go to harvard (I could be wrong).

If she had wanted to she could’ve gotten a 1, 2 or 4 year degree in a more lucrative field with more opportunities and pay in the $13hr+ range. There are tons of degrees that pay decent and have openings. Some at community college which (may) be free in California.

Doesn’t everyone? It’s what you make of it that’s real to you…

Without defending name calling or coming down too hard and even sven, UC Santa Cruz isn’t just some “state school”. All of the UC schools are very good (maybe you’ve heard of Berkeley…?) and not that easy to get into. Perhaps you’re thinking of the State Colleges in CA, which are pretty easy to get into, although that doesn’t mean they’re not good schools.

You get out of college what you put into it. Perhaps her choice of major had something to do with her employment situation.