Incompetance pays off!

I have another story about that group in Foods class. This time we were making breads and the group that I mentioned before were assigned water bagels. They messed that one up, too. They were rubbery (I think that if someone wanted to they could have made a pair of shoes out of those). Anyway, someone got the bright idea of bouncing them off the floor. And they bounced alright…off the floor,off the ceiling, off the floor, onto the tables, on the cupboards, back to the floor, on the ceiling…the class had to duck because we didn’t know which way they were going to bounce!

MaryAnn
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

(Note to self: don’t tell anyone that I just now found out that the zest of lemon rind is not the rind itself.)

Cristi: it is, just not the WHOLE rind.

I must admit this thread seems weird to me. Hilarious, yes, but weird. I’ve never really been much into following recipes… when I even USE a recipe I usually change it all around on the fly and it generally comes out pretty darn yummy. I guess I never thought of cooking as something that you could be naturally bad at.

That said, I have made some real losers in my time. For example, I once tried to make real macaroni and cheese, rather than the kind from a box, by just melting cheddar cheese and stirring it into some macaroni. The result then hardened into something you could have built houses with…
And I remember the time I discovered that if you don’t drain blueberries enough when you make blueberry muffins, the muffins turn green (they taste fine, but they are really unpleasant to look at)…

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Not the whole rind. Okay. :slight_smile:

I remember a cooking class that I had to take in 7th grade, and we had to make pizza. We had to make the dough from scratch. We worked in groups of 4, and my little group forgot to add the baking powder, so the dough never rose. We didn’t know what the problem was. We baked it anyway. It actually tasted pretty good, though.

Ah my compadre’s and patriots of culinary doom…

My problem is following the recipe exactly. I always leave out an ingredient. It’s usually my impatience that causes the problem. I’ve learned to copy down the master recipe and scratch everything off as I go to ensure everything is in there as it should be. Still doesn’t help. I suppose I would drive Paul Prudhomme and Julia Child nuts with my inabilities. My food still comes out bland. I should cook for a hospital.

When I do follow it exactly, like a recipe for garlic bread that I got from the internet, I FOLLOWED it to a T and whomever posted that recipe must have been trying to twart off Vampires for the next couple of states.( I even cut the garlic portion down) The whole house smelled like a Mafia Goombah meeting.

Cheif Scott, I could eat the same food every day. Really. Salami sandwiches are fine with me every lunch. Cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for dinner. It’s just food. Something to fill your pie hole. Regretfully, my husband is not the same way. But he fends for himself in this house.

I am not embarassed that I cannot make more savory food ( really) it does not bother me in the least. Just like my ineptitude at math, my logic is, there will always be someone around who will bring the really tasty dishes and be able to do math in their head. I do not focus on the things I cannot do, I focus on the things I can get someone else to do :slight_smile: Delegation is the key.

Of course, my unflappable indifference regarding this matter( And craft stuff and craft shows and other girly virtues)drives nearly all of my female friends nuts. “WHAT do you mean you don’t like to cook?” It’s like I’m blaspheming against some kind of Church of Feminity or something. I usually retort
" You don’t like to swallow. I’d say we’re even." Heh.

Hubby, btw, is a terrific cook.

Neuro-trash girl : great idea to bend the paper plates.

I know it sounds faked, but I actually know someone who burned Jello.

She tried to boil water by putting it in a bowl in the oven.

Now I feel like baking…wanna make a chocolate macaroon pie for Thanksgiving. Mmmm. (not certain, but I think I’m allergic to pumpkin)