[QUOTE=Contrapuntal]
According to CNN, Gore’s energy bill for his home last year was $30,000. Twenty times the national average. (No link yet.)
Is he a hypocrite?
Does this undercut the effect of his movie?
[/QUOTE]
I understood the original post to posit that Mr Gore was consuming, in some way, more than his “share” of CO2-producing resources. While it used an unsubstantiated energy bill, I took the core question to be: If Mr Gore’s lifestyle uses more than his share of CO2 production, does that make him a hypocrite?
The point has been well made here that Mr Gore has done more than most–way more than most–to reduce his prior impact. He has also done more than most–way, way more than most–to reduce the impact others make.
The point has also been well made that a personal attack on Mr Gore’s integrity has no impact on whether or not a problem exists. Assigning him a label of “hypocrite” certainly seems like an attack unless one defines in advance what the standard should be.
If the standard is a passionate, effective message against CO2 production, and a personal lifestyle that reflects a marked personal change in behaviour to reflect that core belief, it is unfair to call him a hypocrite.
I didn’t create the original thread, but I would have preferred this wording: “If he personally consumes more than the average per-capita production of CO2 that would be required to effect changes in global warming, do you find him persuasive?” That is admittedly a much tougher standard for a wealthy man in a wealthy country to meet, but it’s the crux of the problem. I don’t see nearly enough calculations for our enormous daily consumption. It’s just too easy to only quantitate power plants and cars.
But that power is being used to fuel industries that create our coffee mugs and our furniture that we toss out when we get bored of it. The power is generated in the first place to run the textile mill so that when I stay in a nice hotel I don’t complain about the beat up carpet. And on and on, but you get the idea. That’s why it’s not the limo fuel; it’s the limo. I’m not talking about luxury items here; I’m talking about all the things we consider ordinary consumption.
I was in Chongqing last July. Yellow, dirty air so thick from industries belching out pollutants that you could look directly at the sun without blinking. I thought it was terrible. On my way home, I threw away some stuff because the cost of replacing it was trivial compared to the nuisance of lugging it back home. That’s hypocrisy. Those factories were belching out CO2 to make my stuff, and China’s per-capita CO2 production is soaring to meet my consumption “needs.” I don’t think I have a leg to stand on and preach about what you should do about GW until my lifestyle is compliant with what it would take. To quote Gandhi for the zillionth time: I must be the change I want to see in the world.
Suppose I’m living on an island with a finite food resource. I am blessed to have 5000 calories/day while some are going hungry on 500 calories. If everyone had 2000 calories per day, there is enough food resource for everyone. I recognize the problem, sound an alarm, and cut back to 3500 calories a day. Are you persuaded by me, or are you unimpressed? Notice that the answer to the question has nothing to do with whether the resource is, in fact, limited, and nothing to do with whether or not you are personally willing to help ameliorate the problem.
The question is, IF Mr Gore is consuming more than his per-capita share, IS he still persuasive to some people?
The answers I see posted here suggest that many do not accept the premise that he is consuming more than his share of CO2 production, and that he is, in any case, persuasive.