[QUOTE=Hentor the Barbarian]
Chief Pedant, I don’t think I’ve misrepresented your argument. In fact, I asked you specifically to support your premise (here quoting you): “There isn’t enough green energy…”. For there not to be enough, there has to be a level of demand for which the supply is insufficient. If I said, “There isn’t enough New Coke,” wouldn’t that mean that we have zeroed out the amount of New Coke we produced?
You come back with a cite that says, in essence, that New Coke only makes up 5% of the market. This has no bearing on whether there is enough, does it? There could be billions of bottles sitting in warehouses, but only 5% of the market is consuming it. Your cite says that there is a low level of consumption of green power relative to all power consumption, not relative to available amounts of green power.
Do you have a cite that demonstrates that high level consumption has tapped out the available amounts of green energy or not? It’s just that simple and it is the key to your argument. It is no misrepresentation.
The issue of the “lag” time that you are concerned about is one that Al Gore, as much as any consumer can, is helping to address. He is increasing the demand by getting 100% of his energy from these providers. If he were not, the “lag” in the development of green power capacity would be greater, not less, because demand would be smaller. If nobody bought New Coke, but just reduced the amount of Coke products they drank altogether, the “lag” time is going to be forever, because New Coke will just be dumped since it is a drag on the revenues.
Again, either he is already, right now, purchasing 100% of his energy from green power sources, or the power company is committing fraud.
How in heaven’s name would reducing the use of electricity generated via green power production reduce the emission of carbon? Reducing the emission of greenhouse gases occurs through curtailing the use of electricity from standard power production facilities, not green ones.
Try to understand it this way: If Al Gore cuts his power usage in half and switched back to regular sources of electricity, he will have dramatically increased his share of greenhouse gas emissions.
Alternatively, describe how New Coke would have succeeded by everyone cutting back on their consumption of all Coke products?
[/QUOTE]
If Mr Gore’s position on the cause of GW is correct, and the rest of the world, on a per capita basis, consumed the amount of energy required to support Mr Gore’s lifestyle, global warming would be vastly worsened.
I find him, therefore, unpersuasive. I understand that for you, in some way, his use of green energy is an important point. Because it is a non-implementable solution to the short-term crisis, I find it a largely irrelevant point. There is not enough green energy to replace conventional energy. There will not be for some time. Period. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t push for green energy as a long term solution, or try to increase the demand for it. It means energy consumption must also drop immediately and drastically. This is the sacrifice that will not be made and Mr Gore is a good example of someone not making it.
Permit me to also remind you that the power one consumes is not just the house bill. It’s the power related to ALL of what you consume. I gave an example earlier of how a lifestyle that stays in nice hotel must account for the power cost of the new carpets; the new furniture…blah blah blah but you get the idea. It’s living wealthy that drives China’s factories that increases CO2 production…it’s not just your green energy power bill.
So we disagree, and I suspect that disagreement will not be resolved here. We shall see, over time, if Mr Gore is right in the first place, and if, in the second place, others find him persuasive.
I wonder if the SDMB could have an “I told you so” thread where these types of discussions could get parked for 5 or 10 years and then brought up again…