Individualist trends and fads: kids just phoning it in these days?

Y’know, there’s no rule that says your musical taste stops changing when you’re 30. The hell do you care what music the guy likes?

It may be an unfair comparison; nevertheless, Friday - Rebecca Black can be compared to Candy - Mandy Moore. I am 28 also, and I know what you mean. And I also get it - that Rebecca Black (like Mandy Moore) is trying to convey that she is a nice girl (whatever in society or among generations that means). I was ridiculed in this thread for saying that the only part I liked in “Friday” was the break. But (for once) I’m ahead of the curve because as KnowYourMeme reported, “the break has been notably singled out”.

I do believe that Rebecca Black has a future in electronic dance music.

However, I have to be honest and say Rebecca Black’s friends cannot compare to Mandy Moore’s friends (FYI PYT). Sorry.

Uh…because all your music sounds EXACTLY like the music we listened to 20 years ago? It’s like every soundtrack, half the songs are 80s new wave and the other half are Vampire Weekend.

And don’t believe the hype. The Decemberists and Arcade Fire are terrible.

Besides. My Grandpa was too busy killing Japs to listen to much music.

Ah the typical young person persecution complex. All the adults are trying to get me to conform to their “rules”.

Why none of course, my route to and from work, my work environment, bank, the starbucks near my office, stores etc. are all populated only by people my own age. In fact, I’ve never seen anyone from the current generation, nor do I know any. And somehow, my kids and the children of friends my age magically don’t know anyone of their generation either, so I can’t tell by their friends and acquaintances either.

My post specifically did NOT overgeneralize by saying “this generation”. What I actually said was “a large percentage seems…”. Nor did I say anything about the current generation being either nice or assholes. My statement was strictly about their dependence. You are the one who decided for me that I meant dependence=bad.

It sounds like you’ve read Susan Susanka’s The Not So Big House. If not, you ought. It’s your manifesto.

Thanks for the update. Sorry I missed it earlier.

And yeah, from what I’ve read (assuming it’s correct this time :D) she’s a pretty sharp kid. Honors student and performing in every school play since the first grade. Who knows, maybe ten years from now she’ll be a star.

Interesting word choice. Because those tiny houses look like Unibomber shacks. 800 sq ft is like a typical Manhattan appartment. Even 1200 sq ft is a typical 2BR 2 BA suburban home. Hardly huge by any standard, but perhaps a bit much for just one person. Most people don’t want to live in a shoebox, especially if they plan to raise a family.

I’d say 1200 sqft for 2br/2ba is a bit on the high side. I grew up in a 1950s suburban ranch with 3br and 1.5ba and it was 1050 sqft.

And you realize you’re just parroting exactly what the real-estate agent kept saying, right? Monstro is having the house built for her, not some other family 20 years down the road. I understand that when someone is specifically choosing to do something that is markedly different than the mainstream (be it having a very small house built, picking up and moving across the country with no job lined up, even getting a stick shift in a non-sporty car*), people may want to make sure s/he knows the potential issues s/he may face down the road. But once it’s clear that s/he’s aware of those issues, back off.

Understanding that your choice is a definite minority choice within society doesn’t automatically mean you will change your decision. And remaining steadfast is not automatically a sign you are just being stubborn or that you don’t really understand the potential issues.

• and hell yes, this gets the same kind of reaction from a LOT of people. Are you sure? No one wants a stick shift nowadays. You’ll have a hard time selling it later on, etc.

I wouldn’t say that’s high at all. I live in a house built in 1950 with 3BR/1BA and it’s a little over 1400. For two people, it’s really not that big considering the layout.

I’m currently renting a 3BR/1BA at 1100sq ft., myself.

I’m interested in pursuing this small-house discussion, if anyone else has thoughts on the matter.

I think both the specific subject and the general ones of this thread would be best served by breaking the house discussion off separately. The new thread is How big does a house for one person, or two, need to be?

I thought a young person mocking you and telling you that you don’t understand him is exactly what you wanted. I thought a young person treating your views with contempt would make you happy. You old people are such hypocrites. My generation tells it like it is, man.

I shoot concert videos, and every year I do a dozen or shows by the various branches of the School of Rock. It is an after-school program for ages seven to seventeen that gets kids on stage in real venues, playing rock and roll for paying customers. And the performances vary from “Isn’t that cute!” to “I’m gonna pay money to see any band this kid starts!”.

I’m 50, and if the kids I see in this program are any indication, I have no fears for the future. They are motivated and hard working, talented and professional.

I’m distressed when they get tattoos, but I’m distressed when anyone, of any age, gets a tattoo. I am especially proud that my 21 year old niece has resisted getting one. I told her a number of years back: “Do whatever you like to your hair - cut it, dye it, shave it off - it will grow back. Any clothes you wear, doesn’t matter - they’ll all eventually end up in the trash or at Goodwill. Just don’t get a tattoo because your life will change. When I was 17, I had a powder blue polyester leisure suit - don’t laugh, they were once fashionable. You’ll notice, I’m not wearing it now.”

If I have no other affect on her life, if that one piece of advice remains, I have fulfilled my purpose as an uncle.

I’m confused, too. I’m picturing msmith as a Hollywood type casting agent. “Give me typical rebellious youth! No, TOO rebellious, dammit!”

Are you commenting on the teeny weeny houses in the other post, or the houses in Sarah Susanka’s* book? Cause they aren’t quite the same.

Susanka’s are not mini-Unibomber shacks, they’re just well made and proportional to human scales, and use the money that would otherwise be invested in gawdawful excess square footage in a McMansion to properly design a house of appropriate scale.
*sorry about getting the name wrong.

Sorry to double post. I love the stick shift. The real problem is watching Top Gear and then drifting through my little town the next day. Apparently that’s bad.

I have a couple of tattoos. Didn’t change my life.

By now I should have learned to just ignore nonsense like this, but just for the record: this is completely ludicrous, people often get tattoos of things that DON’T change, and I’ll be charitable and say I’m sure you’ve done better than this as an uncle.

The point is, your life could change, and you’re stuck* with an indelible piece of debris from the life you used to have.

Maybe you have a boring life. But I have friends who have served time and have prison tattoos that they regret because they are no longer criminals. I have a friend who used to be a radical separatist lesbian who had a tattoo that read “If It Smells Like Fish, Eat It” who is now a straight woman with children.

People other than you lead lives that can change. Those people need to have the option to donate their powder blue leisure suit to Goodwill. You must have chosen the world’s most beautiful powder blue leisure suit and will proudly wear it every single day until you die.

• Don’t give me any of that “tattoo removal” crap. Tattoo “removal” is replacing a tattoo with a burn. You do not get your unblemished skin back, you get a scar.

I don’t consider my past garbage. If I did, so what?

The problem here - and people who voice their fear of “being stuck” with a tattoo often make this mistake - is not that when you get a tattoo, you’re stuck with it and regret it forever. It’s that if you get a bad tattoo, you’re stuck with a bad tattoo. If you get one that is neither bad nor stupid, it’s not such a problem.