Inglourious Basterds (Spoilers)

I think he’s one of the soliders in the Propaganda Film the Germans are viewing at the Premiere, IIRC.

Dude were you at the same movie I was???
a bunch of Americans led by a Redneck who speak only American accented english (save one guy who took german in school or something) are dropped into Nazi controlled France to pretend they are CIVILIANS??? Jesus Christ if that isn’t a clue you are in wonderland I dont know what is.

I think many people are going to miss a ton of things like this in the movie. the only thing I knew going into this was that it was supposed to be a Spaghetti Western/WW2 Flick, and there was plenty of Spaghetti Western to be had in this movie.

in the already discussed scene where Landa orders Shoshana her meal isnt that meal against Kosher restrictions? or am I off on that? I know you arent supposed to mix Dairy with some other food types but I cant remember the details.

Innumerable WWII movies involve similarly implausible premises, but none of them killed Hitler in 1944 (at least as far as I’m aware). That’s my point.

The “Basterds” plot of the film is no more improbable than that of The Dirty Dozen or Von Ryan’s Express or any one of countless WWII Adventure Films, so that (in and of itself) is not a “giveaway” that the movie isn’t taking place within WWII as we know it, IMHO.

You’re not supposed to mix dairy with meat, but I think she only had it with strudel, didn’t she?

Actually there were 10 total. When they’re first introduced, there are 7 standing in line, with Aldo opposite them and Donowitz standing beside him. Then they recruit Stiglitz, making 10. So there are really 4 unaccounted for. I like to think that they are just on another mission or something, but they may be dead.
I loved the movie, but I wish we could have gotten at least one more scene with the Basterds showing what happened to those guys.
The bar scene was definitely my favorite.

IF you include Stiglitz, then 3 people die in the bar, so there’s 3 unaccounted for.

No, just Stiglitz and the guy from Munich (I forget his name; the guy with the deep voice) were in the bar. I wasn’t including Hicox in the group of 10.

Anyone notice if everyone was there in the rest of the scenes? (The first scalping, busting out Stiglitz, and waiting before the meeting)

I kinda like the idea that we just see a small part of their exploits, and it’s a pretty dangerous job.

Dairy and meat. But I think it was just a dessert. In any case Jews are allowed, even encouraged, to ignore such things when their life would be in danger otherwise.

Indeed. But Tarantino likes to take a movie trope and push it far further than its normal usage (the ending and, of course, Raine trying to speak Italian are prime examples). It is supposed to take you out out of the movie and make you realize you are just watching a story (along with other postmodern techniques that QT likes to use).

1. If you are upset because IG was unconventional, then I have to wonder what you would expect from a WW2 movie made by Tarantino.

2. Christoph Waltz was fantastic. I think he made this movie.

3. I was impressed by the spoken languages, except for the english, funny enough. The english that was spoken by the germans was all too ideomatically contemporary American (with a German accent), not at all like the kind of english you’d expect a German in the 1940’s to speak.

4. I liked this movie over all. Still I think Tarantino limits himself. You can see pieces of brilliance here and there, but to me it is a bit lost in all of the postmodern Tarantino quirks, inside jokes and Kitsch.

So Jackie Brown is your favorite, too?

Possibly, I would have to see it again to be sure. I haven’t seen it since it came out. It’s got a bit of a bad rep though, hasn’t it? And I did like Planet Terror more than Deathproof. So I don’t know.

Why does Jackie Brown have a bad rep? We thought it very good.

I can’t believe I had the exact same reaction. Odd for a QT movie, though, that that was the last point I really noticed the soundtrack. OK, except for the David Bowie song, which I thought was an odd, anachronistic choice.

Sorry if I’m reviving a zombie…I just saw IB yesterday. Loved it. Although we’re now breeding a generation that will think Hitler died in a Parisian movie theater.

I bet QT just loved packing in the 1930’s cinematic references – GW Pabst, Max Linder, Leni Riefenstahl, Emil Jannings, “the German Van Johnson”.

I saw IG this weekend with some of my friends.

Everyone of us expected a bloodbath, so no one was allowed to come with us that wasn’t at least 14.
I absolutely loved this film.

The tension. The plot. The acting. The script. I was guessing until the end about what would happen at the theater. I went in expecting a foul mouthed bloodbath and came away so surprised.

I was particularly blown away by Christopher Waltz as Col. Landa. Brilliant, effortless. I hope he gets an Oscar nod.

The scene in the tavern, when the british guy gave himself away with the three fingers I knew what he did. Damn germans and their weird hand numbers. that scene was exceptionally well crafted.

The actress who played Bridget Hammersmark looked like she was from the 40’s.

The scenes with Shoshanna, her hair was rarely 40’ish.
My question is that of Aldo Raines accent. Is it a realistic hillybillish accent or was Pitt doing it for comic effect? I loved Aldo as much as I loved Col. Landa.

The other question, in the Movie House scene, where everyone is dressed up in their uniforms. Fredrich Zoller’s uniform was white, and he was a private. Was this a correct uniform for a war hero/private or was it artisic liscense?

I certainly noticed “Un Amico”, a Morricone song that played when Shoshanna was shot. It’s a very beautiful song and was used to good effect.

I noticed that too; I wouldn’t be surprised (somebody will be along shortly who knows for sure) if there was a German fancy-dress enlisted-man’s uniform, for those cases where an enlisted man needs to go to a movie premiere.

Since so much of the dialog was subtitled (75%?) I started noticing interesting choices: apparently “oui” “merci” and “wunderbar” need no translation.

And to the poster above who wondered if the “Bear Jew” would be revealed to be Shoshanna…naw. The German nickname for her would’ve been the “Holy crap gorgeous blonde Jew”.

I just saw it, loved it.

I’m rating this movie as one of Tarantino’s best - and I was expecting a disapointment. Some of the reviews were all ‘its okay but not really Tarantino at the top of his game’. I disagree.

On the point raised by several that they were expecting a bloodbath - I’m guessing this was part of Tarantino’s intentions with this movie.

My interpretation was that one of the points of the movie was to get the audience to consider exactly why they enjoy the violence. After all, the central part of the movie was the Nazis enjoying a movie filled with nothing but violence - and when the screen explodes in fire, the camera centres the screen so it appears to be the screen you are watching.

Yes–and get those who care enough to pay to see it again before it’s a Netflick.