Insert Wotan's Spear and Rotate: AMC Movies Screws DIE WALKURE

A couple off the top of my head:

1. She claims that Brünnhilde is not a daughter of Erda, but rather sprang fully accoutred from Wotan’s head, unlike the rest of the Valkyries. There’s nothing in the libretto to support this, and indeed Erda specifically claims Brünnhilde as her daughter.

2. She refers to the Norns as Siegfried’s aunts. Strictly speaking, they’re not: they are the daughters of Erda, but not the daughters of Wotan. There is no direct relationship between Siegfried and the Norns (although the Norns are Brünnhilde’s half sisters). Also, Siegfried never necessarily meets the Norns, as she implies later on.

I also recall some sequencing errors, but I’d have to watch the whole thing again to remember them all.

The Met simulcasts, at least, are very popular. They often sell out in some theatres.

You should try it sometime. Nothing wrong with picking up a little culture.

I don’t remember her saying the first, but you are correct. Auntie Norns I’d let slide, but them I’m from the Soouthern USA. :slight_smile:

I like culture. But I also like going to the Met for realsies. I mean, I get the appeal of Fathom if you’re nowhere near the real performance, but it seems to me like it would be worth it to save up a bit to see the real thing if you already live there.

I’m sure the routine has evolved over time, but she certainly claimed the first in later versions.

1:40 into this.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a hilarious routine, but she does take some liberties for comedic effect.

I used to be up for that, but with the worsening of my physical condition, and lack of job/income the combination of the cost of getting the ticket, arranging a hotel, driving in Manhattan, dressing for dinner, sitting through the performance in less than optimal [for my body] seating it just makes more sense to pick up something special locally.

Though we did see spamalot a couple years ago in Hartford and it was amazing.

I can understand that. But I live in the San Francisco Area. Other opera buffs I know live in Los Angeles and Cincinnati. We all go to the Fathom because we’re nowhere near NYC.

The theater in Burbank, California is a sellout almost every single time, my contacts there tell me.

So the point here is that Mehitabel paid a substantial sum to see a Met production of Die Walkure, and instead walked out of the theater mutteringGotterdammerung?

:smiley:

Ja!

This snafu seems to have been an AMC Bay Plaza-centered phenomenon; unless opera fans have become a placid, uncomplaining, meek group in the last 24 hours and/or all had several thousand Internet outages simultaneously, it didn’t happen in the show in Times Square or San Francisco or anyplace else.

Just my luck to choose the one theater in America, apparently, where this happened. If only there was a way to express strong angry emotions loudly in front of a crowd for hours!

Besides the Dope, I mean.