Intentionally missetting clock: Cunning or stupid idea?

This; replace it.

BUT: I have a digital clock radio that stays very accurate, unless you use the sleep timer to listen to the radio when drifting off to sleep; it’ll add a minute to the current time, and you can only adjust the time by going forward, minute by minute. Changing back one hour when DST ends takes a while. The main reason I haven’t gotten rid of it is I bought it in 1977 from Radio Shack and it’s been running continuously since then. Some things have sentimental value even if they’re not perfect.

I have a radio-controlled watch that I can compare the alarm clock against. What I like about that clock is the way it shows time in an easily readable, but not too bright, digital display. Very useful when I wake up briefly in the middle of the night and, still half asleep, want to quickly know the time.

^^I just ask Alexa. :slight_smile:

My wife sets her clock on her side of the bed about 15 minutes fast. But I never use it or even look at it cause I don’t know just how far it might be off.

That’s really the only thing that bugs me about her. I count my blessings.

It amazes and slightly alarms me that so many folks are so very finicky about keeping their clocks accurate to the minute and even the second, in compliance with the official timekeepers. Why, for Heaven’s sakes? What’s the big deal about being a minute or two off? Are all bosses so tyrannical about having their employees on the job and under their thumbs for the whole 8+ hours that they’ll fire you or demote you over two or three minutes?

Since we’re talking logic here, wouldn’t it be most logical to replace the defective clock with a new digital clock and avoid all of this ?

I work from home now because of COVID, so I work when I work. For me it’s important to be dependable. If I say I’m going to something a X time, I’m going to. I never keep anyone waiting for me. I can’t recall the last time I was late for anything.

If you need to take scheduled public transportation, then being off by a few minutes can make a big difference for how your day goes.

The kitchen wall clock in the family house I grew up in was always 7 minutes fast. That was how long it took my folks to walk to the Mom/Pop store they worked at/managed/opened up in the a.m., and later owned. Weird.

I worked at a place that would only let people in or out of the building at certain times. If you were 1 minute late for that interval, you didn’t work for 2 hours. And pay was hourly, of course. Not a great place to work at, but it existed.

Something seems wrong about setting a clock to a time other than the current time.

In particular, the OP scheme assumes that the rate at which the clock runs is predictably stable. If it’s driven by a quartz crystal oscillator, I think it’s more true that the rate varies relatively rapidly when the oscillator is first manufactured and then settles into a slower steadily drifting rate. In a cheap clock there would also be a rate dependence on ambient temperature, which could vary seasonally.

I’m one of those people who appreciates clocks accurate to the second and even better. I use that accuracy sometimes in technical data logging. We all have our different fondnesses.

Why wouldn’t you just get a clock that works?

I could, of course, but I’m kind of intrigued by the puzzle that this creates.

It’s common for bars to have a clock set 10 minutes ahead. This is a service to some patrons to help them get to where they belong on time, but even when that is ineffective they’ll still base last call and closing time on that clock to help get the folks to leave.