Interesction right of way question

You’re correct, they are separate.

I’ve worked in that office park about thirty years and NOBODY, including the police (precinct on that right corner) EVER stops or even slows for the stop sign when the light is green. Hundreds of cars are leaving around 5 pm on to a very busy road and the traffic would likely back up so much, they wouldn’t even be able to get out of their parking lots.

A yield sign would be the right control there. One of these days I’ll stop in the precinct and ask them about it.

Intersection leaving office park

I suspect the sign “left turn yield on green” is a reminder like “hey, this isn’t the same as a protected left turn with the arrow.” But I wonder if both sides having a yield creates a double negative if you will, so that they are on equal footing and should revert to standard left turn yields to everyone else rules.

This intersection has been this way for years and isn’t the epicenter of a lot of accidents. But it is small enough that you can see the facial expressions of people from both directions who seem to think the other guy is an idiot or a maniac to paraphrase George Carlan.

It does look like the stop sign is unnecessary. They should take it down; people should not think that a red octagon is an optional or conditional notice.

It’s a poorly signed intersection, but I think the yield sign is supposed to be for those turning right on red, not right on green.

I wasn’t being flip with my answer, though it may have sounded that way. That yield sign is saying, “if someone’s already in the intersection, you gotta yield to him”.

On the green ball, the right-turning car has the right-of-way over the left-turning car. However, if the car turns left in-front of him, he now has to yield to them.

Also consider that if a conflict arises, it’s safer for him (right-turner) to yield than for the left-turner to hit the brakes and stop in the middle of the road to keep from hitting the right-turner.

SmellMyWort said it well, too.

Your comment regarding taking it down made me rethink my idea of replacing with a yield sign. After Stop Right Turn Permitted On Red would be a better choice

We both thought the OP was talking about a channelized turn lane, but he isn’t. It’s just weird. It’s also wrong to have a yield sign in a signaled intersection like the OP’s.

The current Uniform Manual on Traffic Control Devices says:

None of these situations apply. States can adopt different standards if they want but I’d be surprised that any state recommends the abomination the OP is dealing with.

Every driver should understand that a right on red is allowed only after a full stop and after yielding to all traffic in the intersection. If they don’t understand that, the yield sign isn’t likely to help them. It is more likely to confuse everyone who does understand that.

Agreed.

Looking at your link I bet there is very little traffic coming out of that residential complex. A yield would be just fine there. Unlike the OP’s intersection where the yield sign is completely unneeded and only complicates things. In that case, if the right-turner is close enough to turning that they need to yield to avoid hitting the left-turner, then the left-turner shouldn’t have turned in the first place.

Very little traffic coming out of there. They get their own green after the green leaving the office park (behind the camera’s pov).

I agree with that, but I also don’t underestimate the ability of street planners to assume everyone is an idiot.

That link is insisting that I sign in before I can look at pictures.

Sorry, I rarely ever post picts here so I don’t know what to do to make them easier to view.

I see it fine.

Maybe it wants you to sign in to Google.

Me too.

I assumed I can because I did sign up for Picasa, though I never use it.

Is there a preferred service to use for this sort of thing?

According to this site, Google+ Photos and Flickr are pretty highly recommended.