Investing in quality cookware

Possibly also to something that, after jumping into the pan, jumps straight back out again. In other words, something that isn’t in long enough to cook fully.

The Value Village store near where I live.

Staub and Le Creuset in this decade are like Pepsi and Coke were in the 1980s. :slight_smile: Except with Pepsi and Coke, you can sometimes give a GOOD reason why you like one better than the other. Staub and Le Creuset are both excellent, and nobody can give airtight good reasons why they like one better - preference is a moot issue on these, just cook your food and be happy.

And Lodge is a notch down on the enameled cast iron totem pole…

Similarly in non cast iron, it’s All-Clad, Mauviel & Demeyere, then Calphalon & Cuisinart are a notch down.

I’m still using my parent’s Revere Ware bought in the 60’s, plus cast iron skillets/griddles/cornbread pans of the same vintage. Definitely some quality cookware. I would love to have a set of set of vintage pink Club cookware like my Aunt Wilma had!

All Clad has seconds sales on the regular. Many many percent off. Worth the time to wait for the next one. Expensive, even with the deep discount, but you’ll have it all your life.

Vollrath pans belong in that upper echelon.

What kind of quality cookware would make a good gift for someone just starting out? Since they are likely new cooks they probably won’t take the best care of it at first, so durability will need to be very important. And it shouldn’t be super expensive since who knows what will happen to it (lost in a move, damaged, etc).

We have some anodized aluminum Calphalon pans that we’ve had for 20+ years that have been great. We got them at a 2nds store, but it was just for some cosmetic scuffs. They’ve performed excellently the whole time. I’d recommend that, but I have no idea if Calphalon’s current pans are as good since we haven’t had to buy anymore. So what kind of pans would meet that kind of criteria today?