Is a contraction considered one word or two?

dunno

She should add the number of hyphens as well, to ensure that, by the same logic, hyphenations consisting of several words (e.g. “pouvez-vous” or “y a-t-il”) are not counted as one.

I’m a professional translator too, and I charge whatever Word 2003 tells me to. It all gets rounded off to the closest 250 words anyway.

Reminds me of all the legal, semi-legal and certainly illegal advice I got from people when I was having trouble to keep within the word limit of my dissertation. The most shocking advice: When you submit the electronic version of it for word count and plagiarism check, hyphenate words but colour the hyphen white. Word will count the two words as one, but they won’t notice.

I didn’t follow the advice and rather cut parts of my dissertation - partially for academic honesty considerations, partially because I wouldn’t even want to think of the consequences if they do find out.

Dead.

Contractions count as one word. If you wanted a higher word count don’t use the contraction.

Yes. If you need a formal word count for a specific purpose like fulfilling the requirements of an academic essay, product specification, report, white paper, press release, or something like that, you should contact a higher-up (professor, supervisor, manager, editor, etc.) for clarification on the applicable policies specific to your task.

I’m thinking that if it’s for a college essay of any kind, that you probably shouldn’t use contractions at all, and I’m thinking that an English professor would tell you that.