Portugal
Moonspell

Germany
Too many power bands to even try and start naming them

Brazil
Sepultura

Holland
The Gathering

If were counting one-hit wonders, then there’s the Paul Mauriat Ochestra (French), which had a big hit with “Love is Blue.”

Oops. Sorry Gaspode. I was really just thinking about ABBA, there :smiley:

Plastic Bertrand didn’t “make it”, but he had a hit acually sung in a foreign language- Ca Plane Pour Moi. (covered in English…well, covered with entirerly different words, by the Damned as Jet Boy, Jet Girl).

Apparently this was the second French language song to make the charts, the first being, I think, the Singing Nun, so that makes two for Belgium.

The members of Menudo are all US citizens. Puerto Rico is not a forgein country, it is part of the United States. But I’ll stop highjacking this thread.

Selena. Um, Milli Vanilli-well, sort of. Do they count?

Nitzer Ebb is actually British.

I think Selena is actually from Texas. Not far from Mexico, but still in Texas. I think.

In their own genre, The Boredoms, from Japan, are pretty big.

Also, I think a case could be made for Céline Dion.

Enigma is actually a guy by the name of Michael Cretu, who is Romanian, so he definitely counts.

Shakira (Colombia)
Pizzicato 5 (Japan)
Astrud Gilberto (Brazil)
Plastic Bertrands (Belgium; one-hit only)

Where are Los Straightjackets from?

Gee you’d think we would have found ALL those bands from Holland but how about “Ma Belle Ami” by the Tee Set !! Yep, they were Dutch.
Also, an obscure instrumental from 1968 (still made top 40 though) was “Soul Coaxing” by the Raymond LaFevre Orchestra (France).

So was the George Baker Selection (little green bag, Paloma blanca), but we like not to be reminded of that.

What?

Hmmmm… Leningrad Cowboys! :slight_smile: Finnish I believe.

Are we counting one-hit-wonders? If so Tarkan from Turkey (Kisskiss) and Los Ketchup or whatever they are called.

Dragon Phoenix - George Baker Selection - WOW - great memory - damn - how did I forget them? You are a trivia meister.

Now for the new posting:

Sade (“Smooth Operator”) is Nigerian.

I don’t think Sade should count, as she grew up and started her career in England IIRC.

Nope, just a Dutchman in his mid fourties… :slight_smile:

The guy behind Enigma is from France. Also on the song return to innocense the vocals are by his wife Sandra - a german popstar if I recall correctly (had a hit - not sure if it got across the atlantic - in the 80’s called Maria Magdalena or something?).

I’m not sure this defines made it, but the Danish band Aqua had a hit ‘Barbie Girl’ a few years back I think?

Enrique Englesias has made it, hasn’t he? (Though it beats me, what’s so funky about him?).

Hmm…

Can’t think of any other bands right now:)