Is all meat good meat?

My grandparents on both sides depended on creative interpretations of game laws to get through the winter. I made a list one time and found that I could remember eating well over 50 species of animals.

Cows, chickens and pigs are very thoroughly domesticated and easy to raise in high volume.

Racoons (I bet somebody did START a racoon farm…), aligators, rattlesnakes, kangaroo, deer, elk, moose, ptarmigan, bear, cougar, pheasant, sparrow, grasshopper, earthworm, rabbit, etc. are all viable options and they and many more may be available in your local weird store, but they simply haven’t become a domesticated monoculture, for some very complicated reasons. Well, okay, the bears are for an easy reason, the rattlesnakes too, but you see what I’m saying.

Plains Indians hereabouts used to eat grasshoppers as a major food source. They’d make a big circle, and sweep them all in to the firepit they’d dug in the middle of the circle. I’ve never tried grasshopper, but Lord knows there’re still enough of those around that you could have a good feed. On the other hand, you could just go and spend a couple of bucks on a sirloin and call it good.

Game ranching has had problems with disease, as has fish farming, and when you consider the path that corn has taken from a single kernel on the end of a stalk to the luscious (and sterile) eight inch heads you can find at any grocery store today, you start to see that the development of a staple food source is not in any way a fast process.

Cows used to be viable mammals who defended themselves against wily predators. Now you can hunt them with a hammer. It took a while, but we made them that way.

You can always check out your local pet store as well. Guinea pigs were domesticated in South America for food about 7000 years ago. Pretty decent tasting as well.

I opened the thread merely in the hopes of bringing up Guns Germs and Steel. Everyone, go read Guns Germs and Steel and all your questions will be answered!!!

What do I win?
Q.E.D, dogs, like pigs, are omnivores, not carnivores. And as far as I know, no culture has made a practice of eating cats (anybody know?).

Sorry, but dogs are carnivores.

My favourite Anthropology professor, actually my favourite professor, once described dogs as “Man’s best friend, guardian, war companion, field helper, pet, and an excellent source of protein in times of need.”

Because everything else tastes just like chicken so why bother.
:smiley:

The Chow Chow dog breed was originally raised for the table; I kid you not.

Octopi and many other invertebrates are not red blooded but are quite tasty and ntritious.
:smiley:

Eaten and liked (excluding water animals):

Readily available (sometimes in season):

Cow
Pig
Sheep
Horse
Wild pig
Goat
Chicken
Duck
Ostrich
Pigeon
Pheasant
Quail
Rabbit
Hare
Frog
Snail

Not readily available:

Donkey
Emu
Goose
Antilope
Kangaroo

I have had the opportunity to eat dog and snake, but refused.

I guess it’s also a question of economy. If you raise a bunch of squirrels they probably are more trouble than they yield meat. Not like a big, juicy cow…

Just for the record, ostrich has become increasingly popular here in Germany and you can even get it at the local supermarket.

Cite? :dubious:

According to a friend of mine dog is quite tasty. According to his Mandarin wife only Cantonese and other lowlife would eat a dog.