Is America the greatest country on Earth, and why?

There are a lot of right wingers (in the US) who keep insisting that the US is the greatest or insist that the US has lost its greatness because of kowtowing by the left or whatever.

:stuck_out_tongue: Getting your panties in a twist because this OP has been asked and answered in various different ways in dozens of threads? Sorry for being brutally honest, but the reality is most Americans DON’T think about whether they are ‘the greatest country on Earth’. They KNOW they are. Just like most French don’t really think about it either because they know it…and most Brits…and certainly most German I know and Japanese. It’s a stupid question because everyone is going to have different definitions of what ‘greatest’ actually means. But, far be it from me to snark and run…let me answer the OP, since I’m sure you are dying to know what my thoughts are on this (and it’s not like I’ve answered this exact same question dozens of times before in dozens of other threads just like this one, or anything).

So, here you see why it’s a silly question. My take? We are the greatest country on earth because, by far, we have the greatest impact, socially, culturally, militarily, economically, politically and maybe a few more words that end in ‘y’. This isn’t even in dispute. Is MY definition of ‘greatest’ the only one? Hardly. Folks are going to parse that phrase based on their own political worldview. As Der Trihs if he thinks the US is ‘the greatest country on Earth’ and he’s going to spew out that we’re the greatest EVIL on earth, etc etc.

So, what you seem to dislike is that Americans feel they are the greatest and take exception when someone says they aren’t, and then the name calling starts. Right after you got all hurt that I made a joke about your OP. :stuck_out_tongue: Do you see any connection here? As an exercise, go on a foreign message board that has the majority of it’s members from another country and start a thread about how that country sucks because of X, Y and Z reasons and see what sort of response you get. My guess is you are going to be called some names, so try not to get hurt if someone does that, or makes fun of you.

By my definition of ‘greatest’ its hard for me to even see a debate here. Clearly we are and have been for several decades now (since at least before the fall of the Soviet Union) the greatest nation on earth. We have the most influence and most impact of any nation on the planet. That doesn’t mean that in every category and aspect it’s superior to every other place on earth. Nor does it mean that folks living in other countries (or, obviously, even in THIS country) agree with that assertion or that this is the true or right measure of ‘greatest’. I can say that just about every place I’ve traveled to has plenty of folks who think THEIR country is the ‘greatest’, and will bend your ear off telling you why, in loving detail. I remember going to Cuba once and having plenty of people tell me why it was the greatest country on Earth and far superior to the US in every way possible. Different strokes and all that.

-XT

Yes, but then there are folks who think the earth if flat or that the Twin Towers were brought down by a cabal of mutant space rats, the US government and Elvis (or whatever the current Truther theory is). They are, what we generally call ‘wrong’, though the more technical term might be ‘deluded’ or ‘batshit insane’. :wink:

-XT

I think you’re overreacting here. Sampiro, you’re one of my favorite posters here, but I gotta say that OP was, well, not one your best efforts. It would help if you narrowed things down a bit and at least put some sort of boundaries on what you are getting at.

“Great” often means “big”. You have “Great Kings” you have “Great Powers” and you have “Great Britain” :). The US is “Great” in an important sense simply because of its [economic] size. The US projects itself around the world like no other power.

If you mean “best”, then that’s a different story and is going to be extremely subjective. Maybe we just need to take a global poll to find out.

Has America been considered the “leader of the free world” anywhere but in its collective fantasies?

No, it’s not the greatest country on earth. The idea that such a thing exists is preposterous. It is, however, a rather good one. I’ve lived in a dozen countries, and this is where I chose to make my home.

Yeah, we are. Whiny ass liberals will say otherwise, but they’re wrong. We’re the most powerful nation on earth, with the finest military the world has ever known. We have freedom, bought and paid for with the blood of patriots for centuries now. We stopped Hitler, and Japan. Yes, we had help, but without us, the world today would be a very different place. We kept the Russian Bear at bay until it starved itself to death. We have a legal system with significant protections for individual rights. We have so many things that people take for granted, because they’ve never known anything else. We’re still the land of opportunity, where everyone has a chance to achieve their dreams. Outcomes are not guaranteed, but you can try…and if you’re good enough, lucky enough, and work hard enough, you can succeed.

Yes.

I think no.

Regardless, the OP is a bit silly - I’m from Canada and don’t want to live anywhere else so in my opinion Canada is the greatest.

I have former countrymates that couldn’t wait to move south of the boarder - to them the US is obviously #1.

So, I guess the answer is ‘It depends.’ By many statistical measures the US barely makes the top 10 but I’m sure many people like it there and I’m not about to tell them they’re wrong.

I love America and am damn glad I was born and raised here, and live here. But I like what Bill Maher said on a comedy tour a few years back: The people who are always saying that America is the greatest country in the world are the same people who’ve never been anywhere. :slight_smile:

And other places have as much or more freedom.

And in the process spread tyranny and death across the world; I see no evidence that our stopping them was in any way an improvement, except in Europe where they were strong (and white) enough that we didn’t impose our own dictatorships over the populace. Being tortured and killed by an American sponsored tyranny is no better than being tortured and killed by a Soviet sponsored one.

Nonsense. America is one of the least socially mobile of the industrialized nations.

They have never been considered that here in latin america.Maybe it has something to do with all dictatorships that the U.S government has supported here in this region, including the one in my country.I laugh everytime an american says that.How can you be the leader of the free world and be the biggest ally of Saudi Arabia?

And people who talk in ridiculous generalities are either idiots or comedians. :stuck_out_tongue:

-XT

Never forget that the reason people like you aren’t put against the nearest wall is because guys like me have served this nation and kept us free. You don’t believe it, you don’t appreciate it, and you’ve done nothing to earn it, but you’re welcome, anyway. I’d do it again, as would most veterans.

Of course, since that statement is a “ridiculous generalization”, you’ve just accused yourself of being either an idiot or a comedian. :smiley:

Exactly. :stuck_out_tongue:

-XT

Yeah, suuure that’s why. Our wonderful military spends its time fighting for corporate profits, to impose tyranny across the world, and to slaughter brown people with the wrong religions. And if the government so ordered I’m quite sure you and your fellow veterans would have cheerfully lined me up against a wall and killed me.

I respect your service, but it doesn’t give you the right to throw it in peoples’ faces, especially since hardly anyone currently alive has fought against an actual threat to our freedom.

I agree with part of this and disagree with part of it. It’s not cool to throw your service in other peoples faces as sort of a fiat attempt at gaining the high moral ground…and, it’s especially annoying in these sorts of threads as it both fulfills the stereotype expectations of some and is obviously a lure to try and get others to have their heads explode (not going to name any names). However, simply because the average US serviceman hasn’t fought in some desperate battle against and existential threat to freedom and the American way is pretty meaningless too. Their service and the might of the US military is pretty much what protects that freedom.

Personally, I joined the service to see the world, get paid, learn a trade, get laid (this part didn’t work out perfectly, sad to say), and, oh yeah, protect the country and give back a little for the opportunities this country has given my family. Plus, my dad thought I should, and I didn’t have anything better to do for a couple of years, so what the hell?? :stuck_out_tongue:

-XT

You’re right that that’s the logical conclusion to the thought process, but I don’t think anyone really thinks it out that far.

American exceptionalism has been a big part of the American identity for a long time, and that hasn’t changed even as other countries have taken on attributes that were supposed to be “exceptional” to the US. It’s an article of faith.

Another supposedly unique aspect of American nationalism has been that it is “forward facing”, expecting things to just get better and better (as opposed to other countries like China whose nationalism is oriented around a past Golden Age). I think that this suggests that once America clearly enters a decline there’s going to be a lot of recrimination. It won’t be viewed as a natural event; someone will be expected to take the blame.

As to the OP’s question, sure, I think the US is the greatest country on Earth. But then, I’m an American and that shapes my criteria. I lived abroad for 8 years and know that others would have different criteria. A lot of the things the Japanese prize in their society/country are things that I feel are terrible. Similarly, there are plenty of things that few of us would willingly give up about the US that the Japanese would not want.