Is an oil barrel worth more than the oil it holds?

The oil used in auto shops is not crude oil straight from the ground.

My portable charger also cost a lot more than the 1.5 amps that are in there, or all the amps I can put in there in the tool’s lifetime.

Yes. That was in response to the comment about oil products. I was pointing out they are not shipped in 42 gallon crude oil barrels, which as I previously pointed out may not even be used to hold crude oil. Sorry if that was confusing.

Jimmy Buffet once stepped on one of those pop tops and almost sliced off his foot.

I wonder how much money is in a pork barrel?

Anyone know the going rate for a barrel of monkeys?

Or should be just add up the number of posters here, multiplied by the annual subscription rate and call it even?

:smiley:

On a related note, the gas tank for a 2015 Nissan Sentra costs hundreds of dollars but can only hold $20 worth of gasoline. And a VLCC supertanker costs about $120 million but only holds 300,000 tons of crude oil, (2 million barrels) which is only worth about $60 million.

A Group 27 deep cycle marine battery costs about $100 but only holds about 5 cents worth of electricity. And the last time I bought a jar of cinnamon, it cost me $4. But when I took the empty jar back for a refill in the bulk groceries section, the cinnamon itself only cost 50 cents. Therefore the jar cost me $3.50, seven times what the cinnamon costs. There’s a 10 cent deposit on soda bottles in Michigan, but it costs the bottling plant way less than 10 cents for the soda which fills the bottle.

So, it’s hardly unique to say that the contents of a container are less valuable than the container itself.

Half-Life 2 had the same issue, though there is an explanation.

In The 80s: A Look Back at the Tumultuous Decade 1980-1989, one event which took place in the 80s was the formation of OBEC, the Organization of Barrel Exporting Nations, a cartel which drove up the price of barrels to astronomical levels, holding the OPEC countries hostage to their control over the world’s barrels

Used oil drums seem to be rather cheaper in Europe:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Empty-Steel-Oil-Drum-Barrel-205-Litres-/311530711553
Blocket - Sveriges största marknadsplats, bilar, bostäder, möbler m.m. (100:- = about $12)