Is (are) your kid (s) into screamo?

Yeah, I think they are just ‘emo’.

I’m pretty out of the loop unless it’s chicks with pianos, guitars, or synths, so don’t take my word as gospel, but “angry white boy music” is still metal, I think.

Evanescence is goth-lite, I guess. Rock with just a little goth influence. I like them okay, but not enough to own any albums or tracks.

I call it symphonic metal. It’s fun. Tell her the latest thing is Within Temptation. They’re dutch. There’s also Nightwish, of course, if you want some of the classic stuff.

Did you just compare Within Temptation and Evanescence?

…okay, it’s a fair comparison, but only insofar as The Beatles and The Monkees* are similar. I still wouldn’t call Evanescence symphonic metal, but I would consider it a gateway band to that genre.

*I say that as a fan of both The Beatles and The Monkees.

I think Evanescence’s just alternative metal. They’re not industrial like Kidneythieves or Econoline Crush, or as goth as The Flesh or Mechanical Moth.

Holy crap:

“I can resist everything except temptation.” - Silverstein, 2003

“I can learn to resist anything but temptation.” - Rush, 1996

How about HolyHell, with special guest Eric Adams of Manowar

Evanescence is like the portal drug to symphonic metal.

Once you hear Tarja, you’ll never go back. I can’t even listen to Amy Lee any more.

Uhm…

“I can resist everything except temptation.” -Oscar Wilde, 1892

:smack:

I did, kinda, too. For the first 100 times I had to listen to them. Her iPod is always set on “Let’s let the neighbors hear, too!” Add an additional piss and moan for having to pay a co-pay to the Urgent Care office after they were last here. TheKid got tangled in the mosh pit and had a 6’, 200# moose tossed against her. Bruised her up pretty good.

I am pretty accepting of most music, to each their own. Lord knows my parents tolerated me blasting Scorpions and Accept when I was her age, minus the earbuds. I was a good parent and didn’t fall over in laughter after hearing the exBF’s band (but I did have an inopportune coughing fit). I do kinda like Chiodos. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus I can live without. I do like Brokencyde (mostly because they are super nice to their fans).

Wait, Bullet For My Valentine is screamo? My kid kinda likes them…after I introduced him to them.

Baby steps, Aesiron. Baby steps. First you get them hooked, then you bring in the pure stuff.

No, they’re metal. And easy to confuse, name-wise, with the shoegaze band My Bloody Valentine.

Prepare to laugh:
Brokencyde

If you like “Angry White Boy Music”, you’ll love the Angry White Boy Polka

Okay, my bad. Panic At The Disco is not screamo. I get confused with those long band names.*

*Although I seem to have no problem with long song names, like “Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict.”

I don’t mind the screamo stuff. Young men should be angry, and angry young men should scream. What I don’t like is bands that appear to be angry, but really just sound like whiners singing speeded up Journey songs. Or bands like panic at the disco who think they invented that sort of psych bubblegum pop they play.

sigh I’m old. This thread has mentioned dozens of artists and the only one I’ve heard of is Weird Al. Who is awesome.

Get off my lawn.

Yeah, their music sucks. However, the first time TheKid saw them, they all came out afterwards and spent a lot of time with the teens. She appreciated it.

What I’ve been finding with many of the teen alt type bands is that they really pay attention to their fans. I mean, most came up through the internet (3OH!3, anyone?) and most won’t be around in 5 years. Many of these bands know the money isn’t in the CD’s (who buys them anymore), but in thier personalities. So, they work the crowds much more than bands did when I was coming up. Then again, twenty years ago the musicscape was much more limited and corporate.

I just realized no one responded to this.

All Time Low - Pop Punk
My Chemical Romance - Alternative
Disturbed - Metal
Rise Against - Punk/Melodic Hardcore

You can usually look up their wiki pages to figure out the genre, though sometimes there are overlaps and disagreements with classifications. (for example Hawthorne Heights is listed on the Melodic Hardcore page, and that’s a huge stretch)

If you and the kid ever see Disturbed, let me know if they still have an electric chair as part of the staging.