Is Biden responsible for the loose laws controlling Delaware credit card companies?

So, what, oil company executives and Alaska legislators get a pass because they didn’t put the oil into the ground themselves?

C’mon, Diogenes, you wouldn’t apply this reasoning to any other politician or industry, so don’t excuse Biden in such a partisan way. While I’m sure he had great reasons for supporting the bankruptcy bill that most of his caucus opposed, I’m also pretty certain that those contributions from MBNA and the fact that that bank and others are a major employer in his state were a major factor as well.

I am sure it affected his decision. And if you’d like to start a thread about national laws and credit card companies, we’d all have a good laugh at Biden’s expense for being a jerk on this count. Thing is, we’re talking about the laws of the state of Delaware, and on that count, you have exactly as much to add to this thread as Biden does to the laws.

In case it isn’t clear, that is “nothing.”

Credit card companies get $100 every time they screw over the little guy from the Eeeeeeeevil Overlords.

The question in the OP was whether Joe Biden was responsible for Delaware state laws. He is not. End of thread. The rest is irrelevant.

Not hardly - banking of course is an industry regulated by state law - but also by federal law under interstate commerce regulations. And Biden has always stood up for his state’s banking industry.

And let’s not quibble over the state law-federal law thing - I’m certainly aware that there is a distinction and that the laws in Delaware favoring banks and other businesses aren’t Biden’s doing.

Some people would want to excuse him just because of this, though, when the fact is that this unique situation in Delaware couldn’t continue unless the federal government permitted this - and Biden has done his part to preserve this system. So can he be tied to it? Is he responsible? To a degree yes - for good and for bad alike.

Are you? Because if so, one wonders how federal law would affect just Delaware-based credit card companies, so that Biden can be held accountable.

Then why are we talking about credit card companies in Delaware, if it is a more universal issue?

If the context is the entire nation, we are in the wrong thread, but Biden could be smashed for his record, if we disagreed with his record.

If the context is the state of Delaware, we are in the right thread, but Biden has nothing to do with it.

Hell, I can be tied to it, if that’s the only standard you feel is necessary, and I don’t even write laws. His responsibility clearly lies at the federal level; to the extent that federal laws single out credit card companies in Delaware, we can get talking about Biden. So, to what extent to federal laws single out credit card companies in Delaware?

How many credit card operations exist outside of Delaware, at least for purposes of incorporation?

Never mind - found out myself. Citibank has its credit card operations in South Dakota. They’re the only major bank with its credit operations not located in Delaware. And they’re there for the same reason - friendly usury laws.

Which must be Tim Johnson’s responsibility, if I understand you correctly.

Bill Janklow, actually - he was governor of South Dakota at that time. But is is interesting that, because of the presence of Citibank probably, Senator Johnson does hold a seat on the Banking Committee.