Is chainmail bulletproof?

Have to agree with TLD. The rolleyes smilie is annoying, and just smart-alecky. At times used deliberately to incite conflict – and it succeeds. I’m glad this is now the only place I come across it.

Chainmail, mail – as long as we know what we’re talking about. That’s what matters.

I’ve actually got a Plackard just sitting around.

I have no idea how much it would cost to ship, but I’m interested.

CynicalGabe, drop me an e-mail (Critical pedestrian (no spacing) at_sign Yahoo dot com. If you can provide picture, or even better a website a’la Box of Truth, I’m down to provide the armor.

It’s styled after a 13th Centry German Plackard… the strapping and hinges are all screwed up though.

I was reading about how ceramic armor just breaks up bullets and a backing material catches them.

does anyone think putting a really hard steel chain mail in front of a kevlar backing might be stronger than just kevlar?

Possibly, but I suspect ceramic plates would still.provide a weight advantage.

Nope, standard vest aren’t knife proof. From what I understand, vest generally work better with larger caliber bullets as the larger surface area of the bullet tends to spread the impact. A small pointed bullet stands a better chance of passing through Kenmar.

Ned Kelley’s home-made armourwas effective against the guns of the day. He survived at least five shots to the head and twelve to the torso.

Also worth noting that many narrower pointed bullets also happen to be high velocity rifle rounds (long cartridge full of powder pushing behind a narrow, long bullet), as opposed to low velocity pistol rounds (short and fat, with less propellant behind it).

It’s the difference between getting hit by a VW Beetle doing 15MPH and a Kawasaki Ninja doing 90MPH.

Real tempered plate armor from Milan was long bow-proof outside of 40 meters (which is practically a kill zone for a mounted knight.) Look up the battle of Vernuil.

Chain mail can stand up to the long-bow outside of 150 meters. Just don’t come inside 100.

You wouldn’t want to get shot wearing chain mail if it just breaks the links. I’ve heard you’ll have very bad luck if you break the chain.

You’d also want a gambeson under the mail.

Also a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve jammie dodgers and a fez.

I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain…

Just in case it hadn’t been realized, this thread was zombified by ten years and two weeks.