Is glass a liquid or a solid

My post is my cite.

Seriously, how bout here ? Granted, a University chemistry textbook pales in significance to a google search, but it’s the best I could do.

Comment:

Response:

Oh yeah: in putting together my previous post, I neglected to mention that you somehow forgot to address the actual issue I raised (reprinted above in case you forgot). I’m sure it must have accidently slipped your mind. Feel free to expound. I’m here all week, folks.

This can cause endless debates on the definition of “solids” and “liquids”. (and we have a good start on one, above :stuck_out_tongue: ) However, in any case- window panes are not slowly melting. OK?

It’s about definitions, and there can be serveral different definitions that apply to the same word, even in technical fields (as has been indicated by several posters in this thread). All of the different definitions can be correct within their own contexts.

As I said, those 11,600 entities were mostly selling refrigerators, talking about colors, or discussing three-dimensional models.

Yes, but this time round it’s with feeling!

No aneurysms with that list, but earlier you referred to “intermolecular bonds” in metals, so I will dedicate the rest of my life to hunting you down! And when I find you I will tut at you.

No, it’s about who’s right. And it’s me! Me, me, me, me, me!

[sub]Maybe it is about language, a bit. Alright, maybe a lot. But that would mean that we’re nitpicking over semantics for no good reason in GQ, and that couldn’t possibly be true.[/sub]

Good point; I missed this first time around, but don’t really feel as passionately as you do to go fishing through all the hits to find ones that uses the term as I did. I’ll cede your point that I used of a term that is at best is archaic, at worst, pulled out of my ass.

Point, Terminus Est

Only because I didn’t want to get into the whole “sea of electrons/shared valences” (which is a kind of intermolecular bond, albeit nowhere near as strong as, say, hydrogen bonds in water.)

You guys can skewer me for this but I think it’s a false dichotomy (trichotomy?).

“Liquid”, “solid”, & “gas” are human definitions. Nature is not strictly bound by them.

WOW!! Who would have thought my comment over lunch would inspire such a lively discussion!! I love it! Thanks to all posters!!

:cool: