Is Glycerin really bad for you? I doubt it's Vegan friendly...

Slight tangent…

Re: the “living green” aspect, palm oil can be a contributor in tropical deforestation and is sometimes avoided by the greenies.

And veganism may or may not be "green"er depending on the specifics.

CaCo3[OH]

Chemists think this is organic? Smartest forum in the internet…

What is that supposed to be? Calcium tricobaltate? :wink:

Assuming you mean calcium carbonate, what is your point? Calcium carbonate is an inorganic ionic compound, and it doesn’t have C-H bonds, which was the point you were replying to. Not sure why you are including the hydroxyl ion in the formula there, but it certainly isn’t bonded to the carbon atom!

There’s no simple definition of an organic compound, but chemists know one when they see one. You could say “it must have C-H bonds”, but this excludes things like CCl[sub]4[/sub] and benzenehexol. You could say it must have C-C bonds, but that excludes methane, urea etc.

Ok, so a hydrate is not an ionic bond. Now let’s look at your C-H bond. Aren’t people confusing “organic compounds” with “hydrocarbon compounds?” You see high-grade coal is almost pure carbon and it certainly was of biological origin. Not organic?

No. It is not even a compound. In chemistry, “organic” is a word used to describe compounds.

Although many organic compounds are derived from living things, they do not have to be, and that really is not relevant to the what the word means to chemists.

Organic= grown without pesticides etc (as defined by agriculturalists)

Organic= comprised of a hydrocarbon chain (chemists, biologists and biochemists)

Organic= synthesized by a living creature (?, but I’m sure someone uses it that way)
Something can be chemically defined as organic without having been synthesized by a living creature. My understanding is the definition came first from analyzing the major compounds prevalent in living creatures (proteins, fats, carbs, nucleic acids) and determining what those compounds have in common, forming the basis of a chemical definition.

Anybody heard from Phlosphr lately? He’s been away a while…

The OED has a couple of apposite citations. From 1831:

And from 1869, almost 40 years later:

Finally, from 1894:

The original meaning of the word in the sense we’re talking about, by the way, literally meant “related to the organs.”