Is it common practice to offer amputation to patients recently suffering from a spinal cord injury?

I see. Thank you.

First of all, I said “and/or regrowing”. The major point was “reattaching”. When we can reconnect severed nerves so that they function properly, attaching doner limbs will be trivial.

Second of all, work is also being done on regrowing limbs, including the use of extracellular matrices, stem cells, a whatever we’re getting from salamander research.

So your claim of “flat nonsense” is well… just that.

To return to the OP, it can hardly be common if it happens at all. Think of all the people you see using wheel chairs and try to recall any who were legless. It happens obviously but seems rare.

However, I recall two different articles about a person with one paralyzed, perhaps withered, leg who had it amputated because they felt it would improve their quality of life. One (in England I believe) learned to ride a bike using an artificial leg after his amputation, presumably below the knee. He was unable to do it before. The other, a young woman living, IIRC, in Ottawa was just fed up needing crutches and felt she could learn to walk on an artificial leg. You might think that a leg brace might have done the job. Come to think of it, I can’t recall the last time I saw anyone with a leg brace. They used to be quite common, before the polio vaccine. Come to think of the last two were musicians who performed at the Montreal Symphony and I know for a fact that they had both had polio.

Not a spinal cord injury but I just read thisabout a lady, presumably in Edinburgh, going to some extremes to get an amputation shudder

(possibly NSFW)