Is it illegal to sell cold beer in Indiana?

Will they accept non-American IDs? If not, then Indiana is on my list of places where I just keep driving until I get to a state that will sell me a cold beer to enjoy after a day behind the wheel.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t accept non-US ID’s - the rule is to check, it doesn’t specify that the ID has to come from Indiana. Certainly, my dad had no trouble with his New York license last time he was in town. Granted, that’s still US. It needs to be a government-issued ID showing your picture and date of birth.

On the other hand, if you’re traveling along an east-west route Indiana isn’t that wide, you should be able to get across easily in just a few hours. There’s not much to see here anyway - mostly farms, with some steel mills and slums on the north end near Chicago.

Not so true any more, though it was until recently; grocery and convenience stores in Indianapolis and surrounding areas can be licensed to sell cold beer, liquor, and wine, so it sounds more like local ordinances are at play with this rule. Still not sure how I feel about being able to hop into the local Speedway for a banana-flavored MD 20/20 or an ice-cold bottle of vodka, but I can now.

The weird dichotomy with liquor stores and cold soda still stands, to the point that liquor stores can’t even own the soda machines located outside their doors. I think one of the main points of contention for the current challenges to Indiana liquor laws is that it’s uniformly in favor of non-liquor stores. Why can a grocer expand to include cold liquor, but a liquor store not expand to include cold soda?

[quote=“Spoons, post:21, topic:555121”]

Mine too, better to just avoid Indiana; just ask Mike Tyson.

A bar I went to in college would accept passports - but not the actual hard copy. You had to bring in a *photocopy *of your passport. I think the bartender claimed there was some way to verify it was real from the copy.

Leave a baby or a dog in a car here in Arizona, and you get arrested.

I asked one of our liquor store owners about that when I first moved out here. He said the concern was that cold soda, soda machines, or any form of cold non-alcoholic beverage might attract underage types, especially in the summer, and lead to someone buying them alcohol at the location. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but it sounds possible.

Thankfully you can buy booze on Sunday in Arizona so you can just take the baby into the grocery store with you.

In Ohio you can just go to the drive thru with your kids and ask them to just toss your beer into the cooler between the child seats. :smiley: Really. :eek:

Can I ask: how are Sunday restrictions on alcohol sales not in violation of the constitution? Are they justified on non-religious grounds or something? But looking through the list of state laws, some states also ban sales on Christmas Day.

What would they be violating? You can make up plenty of reasons to restrict alcohol sales on certain days that don’t have anything to do with religion.

Here in Minnesota:

• Grocery stores can only sell 3.2 beer (warm or cold).
  • Liquor stores are closed on Sundays and holidays (incl July 4th).
  • Liquor stores close at 10 pm. In most of the Twin Cities metro area, they close at 8 pm on weeknights.

I’m sure it’s the case inother states as well, but here you can get a “No Alcohol” endorsement on your drivers license if you’ve had too many DWIs. If bars are strict about checking it (many aren’t), they won’t let you in.

In Tennessee you can buy beer in a grocery store, but not wine. For wine you need to go to the liquor store, which can only sell wine and liquor. No chips, pretzels, bottle openers, soda, nothing. And of course they are closed on Sunday.

So the Christmas Day restrictions are not due to the religious significance of that day?

not sure I get the rolleyes. Is there anywhere that has a rule that says no minors EXCEPT infants? I would assume no minors law is pretty much that… “no minors,” not “no minors including infants.” Maybe the rolleyes is needed for the person that needs liquor so bad they have to haul their infant up there with them to get it.

Since we’re talking about weird liquor laws… growing up in Oklahoma you could buy 3.2 beer in groceries etc. but in liquor stores they could only carry beer that was strong that 3.2 beer. Plus liquor stores could ONLY carry liquor. They weren’t allowed to sell gum, bottle openers, or anything else that wasn’t liquor. To top it off, while you could have a sign as big as you wanted the only words on the sign could be “liquor store” and they were limited IIRC 6" tall. It wasn’t uncommon to see a 20 foot tall yellow sign with tiny 6 inch lettering at the top “liquor store.” I don’t think that’s the case anymore though.

Well, of course they are - but they’re couched in specifically non-religious reasons if pressed. The legislature can very easily say, “Look - everything’s closed on Christmas. Odds are that most liquor stores are as well. More importantly, because of the fact that few businesses are open, government offices are closed and police shifts are reduced to a skeleton crew, we’re going to restrict all alcohol sales on Christmas as it would be an undue burden to enforce excise laws with both a short staff as well as sporadic retail activity.”

The rolleyes emoticon is commonly used to express contempt for a statement or idea that is seen as absurd, ridiculous, contradictory, et cetera. Not having met your hypothetical liquor fiend / negligent new parent, we can’t say definitively whether he or she *needs *the rolleyes, but it’s generally a bad idea for anyone to be driving a car in the first place with arms and legs made of straw.

In Oklahoma, liquor stores must sell it “unrefrigerated”, so they keep it next to the windows in the winter. Grocery stores can sell it hot or cold but the alcohol content must be 3.2% or less.

I’ve had problems before, at “we card everyone” places in the US. In spite of the fact that I can show my Canadian passport and my provincial driver’s license, I’ve occasionally been told that they’re unacceptable for various reasons–most often, because they are not American. It is true that, sometimes, there are no problems at all, and sometimes calling over a manager clears things up; but it is also true that I’ve been totally refused a number of times at “we card everyone” places, even though I am showing valid, government-issued ID that displays my photo and date of birth.

What if you take the baby in the baby carrier up to the door of the liquor store, open the door and use the baby carrier to prop the door open while you conduct your transaction? You could buy your booze without your eyes ever leaving Junior. Therefore: Liquor purchased, baby not left unattended. Win!

Or, you know, pay a drunk outside to go in and buy you a Three Musketeers, a ballpoint pen, a comb there, a pint of Old Harper, a couple of flashlight batteries and some beef jerky.