Is it medically possible for a woman to give birth to a dog?

for her to be able to give birth to a dog, i would also be able to give birth to a mammoth out of my ass. that is the level of argument here.

C’mon. It happens in The Philippines all the time.

No wait, that’s fish. Or something.

Dogs and humans have different kinds of placentation (zonary for dogs, diffuse for humans), which would be another problem.

Further to the guar story above, an Australian veterinary theriogenologist, Dr Angus Mackinnon, gestated a rare french donkey foal in a standardbred horse (the embryo was collected by techniques usually used for embryo transfer within a species because the embryo was created naturally within the dam, she just couldn’t carry a term pregnancy due to spinal trauma), and that foal was a different species to the dam, even though it was of a species which could interbreed with the horse…

If it were possible, would the puppy be considered legally human?

No, it’s not possible. Cross species embryo transplants must be done on similar species. Succesful transplants have been done between a Siberian tiger and a Bengal Tiger, Florida panther and American mountain lion, llama and alpaca, to name a few. Even similarity of species doesn’t mean that acceptance will occur. Grizzly bear embryos are rejected by black bear hosts.

Nowhere…absolutely nowhereexcept The Straight Dope…could this be asked by a sober human being, with a straight face.
I am flabbergasted!

I am flummoxed!

I am utterly bombastiboodled!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Plasma… dog plasma. gets cross-eyed and switches the bottles

Of course you’re first gonna have to get Doggy Dad to beat off into a cup.

The only reason I opened this thread was I saw lieu had posted and I had to see what he had to say. I was not dissapointed.

Are you sure this is true? Is animal blood typed the same way human blood is? If so, why can’t we solve any blood shortages with animal blood? (Assuming we screen for all the new diseases.) Maybe I should start a new thread.

Wouldn’t the gestational length difference alone screw it up?

You would have to essentially change the conditions so much as to create a completely different environment. I think it would be easier to just create an artificial womb than to change an existing one that much. Human fetuses get rejected by the woman sometimes, I don’t see how it would be possible for a dog fetus not to.

Maybe the answer is “theoretically, with enough scientific advances, yes, but practically no.”

That’s not so hard. Just duct tape a cup to your pants leg.

It’s not true.

Hey, PEPSI CLASSIC…Was the movie ‘Deliverence’ filmed in your neck of the woods?

<hears faint strains of “Dueling Banjos”…dada dingding ding ding ding ding ding…>

I thought that mothers and foetuses specifically don’t share circulatory systems - which is why HIV is not always passed to the foetus.