Is it okay to use <snip> to indicate removed text in a quote box?

You have a pretty sic sense of humor.

:stuck_out_tongue:

No, the joke was fine. But I’ve learned…I’ve learned.

Just thought making it clear was a good idea.

Again, treat the text inside quote boxes as sacrosanct. Always best to do that.

“You have a pretty sic (sic) [sic] sense of humor.”

Just playing it safe here, boss!

Go for the royalties … I’m sure I’m not the only one who can easily hand-wave away moderator warnings, suspensions and banning … but if I make anything remotely close to a non-standard claim, why, I break out in a sweat, soil my pants and have a mini-stroke thinking Czarcasm might come along and demand a citation. That really doesn’t go away until I actually find the goddamn thing and include it in the post.

Yeah … royalties … you deserve them …

To the OP: I think the quoting rules are perfect, anything else is libel …

Unless you’re in the pit - where we treat the rules differently (‘rules light’) even if the rules for the pit are specific on the point in the question.

and that sums up my issue with this ‘note’ vs ‘warning’ -its inconsistent at best.

I didn’t know we’re allowed to screw with people’s quotes in the Pit. Since when?

You posts your posts and you takes your chances.

But seriously, I think Miller gave a good explanation and it was more nuanced than that. The particular change we are talking about was not really an attempt to change the content, but to call out the poster. Which is SOP in the Pit. The mods have made it abundantly clear that they are never going to draw an absolute, bright line and swear that “doing X” will always get you a warning.

Sic is properly italicizedso I added a [sic] to show the mistake.

I added a second [sic] to indicate the mistake of not leaving a space between [sic] and sense.

The third added [sic] was to show that the second (sic) should have had parentheses and italics.

The fourth [sic] was to condemn the sloppiness of misspelling sick as sic.

I leave the other corrections as an exercise for the reader.

see post #23 above.

‘we’re rules lite’ in the pit - Miller then goes on to explain that its ok to modify the quotes - even tho the pit rules specifically say -

(bolding mine) -

Miller did not say it was OK. He said:

how is that a ‘very minor, largely technical’ violation? straight from the rules it says ‘DO NOT’ - it was done - thats not minor or technical.

This isnt a forgotten . or an editing mistake - this was deliberate

In short, and at this point I’ll drop it since I am only going to repeat myself - its as flagrant a rule breakage as calling names in GD (and other forums) is -

All I can say is go back and read post #23. And if you still think Miller said it was “ok to modify the quotes”, then please quote the part you think says that. I would suggest not altering Miller’s post in the process. :wink:

Miller gave an example that (mirrored the post inthe Op) and said he was fine with that modification of the quote -

THat is being ‘ok to modify quotes’ - how can it be anything else?

I get his reasoning - but that is still not inline with what the rule states.

His second example (an empty snip with the statmement below) is in line with the rules.

Emphasis added. You keep saying things like that, so why don’t you quote the exact passage where he said he was “fine” with it. He gave a mod note to the poster, so that right there says he’s not “fine” with it. And that’s my final post on the subject.

too late to edit - fixed post below -

Miller gave an example that (mirrored the post inthe Op) and said he was fine with that modification of the quote -

THat is being ‘ok to modify quotes’ - how can it be anything else?

I get his reasoning - but that is still not inline with what the rule states. There is a reason the rule is stated ‘do not’ - if it looked like the modification was in error - I get a note not a warning. This is not the case.

Hell, I;ve seen mods go to lenghts to correct bad formatting and other quote errors - sometimes without even noting it - so I get the difference and subjectivity of it - but if the rule sasy “do not” and you “do” - seems more than a note is in order.

This is one of the few - easily objective - rules we have - and its there for good reason.

That is absolutely NOT what I said. Not even remotely close. Modifying quotes is not allowed in the Pit. Doing so will get you mod noted at minimum, or warned if I feel the offence was sufficiently egregious. Moderators have a variety of tools at our disposal for enforcing the rules. I usually choose the lightest tool available, but that doesn’t mean that the rules aren’t being enforced.

You see it as ‘minor, technical’ rules violation.

I see it as a blatant rules violation that is clearly spelled out in said rules.

So - what we disagree on is charactor of violation and what the resulting mod action should be.

I’m dropping it -

Ve haf zee rrrrools und ze rrrrrools shall be enforced shtrictly in all zircumstanes!

Ja Vol, Herr Kommandant!