Is it rude to tell another adult to blow their nose?

I’m a sniffer, somewhat reformed. When I realize I’m doing it I make a conscious effort to not do it so much. For me it’s mostly due to mild allergies for like 60% of the year (seasonal allergies, hayfever, dust, pollen, etc… and also cats).

Blowing the nose just isn’t effective in dealing with my allergies. If I have a head cold or something where I’m stuffed up, I’ll blow my nose and it clears stuff out and I don’t have to sniff for a long time, so I blow my nose then. But if it’s just my regular allergies, there isn’t really anything to blow. It’s just a constant thin drip. If I blow my nose, it only prevents sniffing for about 30 seconds or so, and then it’s back to sniffing. If I could just blow my nose and then be fine for quite a while (like when I have a cold), I would definitely blow my nose more often.

I know this is a old thread, but I wanted to share my own story.

I have a medical problem (Empty Nose Syndrome) which causes me to sniff, otherwise I feel like I am suffocating.

My skin is pretty thick, but please just be polite and ask if the person has allergies, a medical condition, etc. and work out a appropriate plan.

I have run into this many places I have been. Nothing makes me feel more like shit than when someone is obviously mocking you by sniffing back. PLEASE do not do this.

I’d recommend he try a Neti Pot or something similar. It really helps with my non stop allergy symptoms, I use it morning and night.

I’ll take your sniffler if you’ll take our phlegm-cougher. The sound of wads of snot crashing about in his innards causes everyone else in the office to migrate to the other side, wearing expressions of dismay.

Sometimes blowing your nose doesn’t help. For me it rarely does.

I would be offended. There is no good way to tell people that they annoy you.

I like that idea, but I think my response would have been, “Yes, it is.”

I also vote for just going over and handing him a tissue.

When I run in to this kind of situation with noses or breath, I hand a mint or a tissue to someone (box of tissues) and when they say no thank you I say “oh, you really need it” and do that over and over looking them in the eye until they get the hint.

Yes, it’s rude to tell another adult to blow his/her nose. However, it’s even ruder to put up with it until one day you snap and wring his/her neck.

Seriously, hand him a tissue. Hell, give him a box of tissues if he doesn’t take the hint after you’ve handed him half a dozen or so.

I have allergies, but I try not to make other people suffer because of that. Those little purse packets of tissues are cheap.

I think handing out a tissue is probably the most polite way, and even I get the implication, and I can be rather clueless.

I also appreciate it, as I usually don’t know I’m doing it.

Sure there is. You present not as a failing on their part, but as something harmless that you have one of those irrationally strong reactions to, and if they could be so kind as to indulge you it would just be super. Some people will still be offended, but overall it’s probably better for them be offended than bludgeoned to death with a stapler because someone just couldn’t take it any more.

bump
I think if they’re being inconsiderate and not thinking about other people with their sniffling then it’s fair game to tell them about blowing their nose.

My $0.02c

Also, if you’re getting affected by the noise and it’s effecting your work environment …you need to do something about it

I had a problem like this a long time (6 years) ago I found it finally went away when I reduced the stress in my life and got treatment from several alternative health practitioners: regular massage, kinesiology and chiropractic treatments and that eventually allowed my body to relax and eventually the sniffing reduced and disappeared. It took weekly treatments over 3 months to a year to completely return to normal… I hope this helps, originally I was on claratyne, telfast or Zyrtec every 4 hours and even that helped only minimally. Now I’m drug and sniffle free.

So, Lobsang . . . did he blow his nose, or are you currently in jail without chance of parole?

I’ve logged into SDMB for the first time in years (I got an email about a friend request) and I find my username referenced less than a month ago :slight_smile:

I can’t actually remember who it was that inspired this thread. Most employees are long gone. I’m still there providing very remote IT support to a company that is now mostly based in the US.