Is it true that you can be arrested for sleeping in your car?

Agreed. “Care and control” is often the defining factor in some jurisdictions. You often meet the standard of “care” by owning the vehicle, but "control’ is a different matter. Asleep in the car, while having the keys in your possession, might constitute “control.” Asleep in the car while your buddy elsewhere holds the keys might not. You should be able to see the difference, especially if the sleeper is legally drunk. It depends on the jurisdiction if “care and control” is applied; and most importantly, how “control” is defined in the jurisdiction.

St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony LaRussa was arrested in 2008 when he was found asleep in his car. Of course, the article points out that a) LaRussa’s car was stopped in the middle of an intersection and B) LaRussa failed field sobriety checks and was later tested and found to have a blood alcohol level above the legal limit. In short, he was drunk.

But obviously, there was no way the cop could have known any of that when he came upon LaRussa asleep behind the wheel.

Walmart does officially offer RV parking at many of its stores. It’s good for business, apparently.

When I was living in Hermosillo, Mexico, the local Walmart was a meeting spot for all of the American and Canadian RV’ers to meet up in order to caravan further into the country. Since then, I’ve noticed a lot of RV’s near interstate Walmarts.

There are folks for whom living in their very own car would be a step up.

Sorry to have to tell you.

Sounds more like he was more concerned about whether you were breaking any loitering laws.

I expect that in a lot of places, the color of one’s skin would be a big factor in the treatment one received. A black friend of mine fell asleep in a car once and received several expensive tickets as a result. Maybe things have changed since this was a long time ago but I doubt it.