Is it true that you shouldn't place a car battery on cement?

There is quite often a huge temp differential between air temp and the temp of the concrete floor.
The concrete floor is a very big heat sink and can stay very cold even if there is a heater running to warm the air.
Ask anyone that has laid on a garage floor in winter to repair a car. Particularly in snow country.
This brings up what might be the only true part of this tale. The chemical reaction inside the battery slows down as the temp drops. Get the battery cold enough and it may not start the car. So taking a battery out of the car, and leaving it on cold concrete for a couple of days can make it appear to be dead due to the colder temp of the electrolyte, which reduces the voltage output of the battery.

Thank you for a straight answer. I had already came to that conclusion but needed some “concrete” facts to back it up.

I realize this is a hijack, but maybe GaryT can explain this. I’ve heard from people with old cars who put their original non-radial spare on with 3 modern radial tires and the car was difficult or impossible to control under certain conditions.

That’s certainly believable. Radial tires and bias-ply tires have some essential differences in how they react to certain forces. Nevertheless, there is some variation in recommendations about mixing the two types.

Some sources say never mix radials and bias-plies on the same vehicle. Some say avoid mixing, but if you do mix put the radials on the rear. (I have found some accounts of putting the radials on the front with no problem until highway speeds are reached, at which point the rear gets twitchy.) Pretty much everyone says don’t mix types on the same axle.

As to why, read the last item on page 42 here, “Mix effects explained.” The page also has a number of first-hand accounts which are illuminating.