Is Kerry "out of the mainstream"?

Watching Bush supporters accuse John Kerry of being “out of the mainstream” is like watching Dennis Rodman try to be a fashion critic.

Or vice versa

No, I think that the Bush Administration is out of the mainstream. That is why The Republican National Convention will be calling upon its more liberal members to speak even though they do not support some main issues of the Republican platform.

(Some of you have some really weird views on what rich people are like.)

Is this some kind of joke? Do you fault the Washington Times for requiring you to pay for it, and for having advertisements in it? Anyway, I’d trust Salon.com much farther than the Washington Times. The article linked describes the wackiness of the owner of the Wash. Times, Rev. Sun Myung Moon. He thinks he’s the Second Coming. Is thinking he’s “the Messiah” in “George Bush’s mainstream”?

elucidator, I’ve narrowed it down. You are either the good twin to P.J. O’Rourke’s evil twin or you are Molly Ivins. How close am I?

Time ran a long bio of Kerry recently.
and I wish I could link to the whole thing now. But they do agree with you. Basically what they said about this issue was that while they lived an area that had a lot of wealthy people, the Kerrys themselves were not rich. They definitely weren’t poor, but they weren’t rich like the people around them. John Kerry’s grandfather was wealthy enough, but his estate was spread out among eleven children.

Oh? Like what, Zoe? Give us some specifics! Why don’t you enlighten us???

Dammit, I have no idea why that happened. :stuck_out_tongue:
From the article:

David Thorne is the brother of Kerry’s ex-wife, Julia Thorne.

They don’t explain exactly what Richard Kerry did. He was in the Air Corps at one point, was with the State Department (they moved around a lot during that time, and John Kerry spent two years at a boarding school in Switzerland, another thing the GOP has raised as a character flaw at times, while his father was stationed in Germany, and later Richard retired to private law.

I didn’t have to pay to access the Washington Times article online. I couldn’t get access to that “news” piece unless I did pay. I’m sure it was very entertaining, but since I can’t access it, I’ll never know.

Frankly, I don’t know how much to trust either one, but I’m not likely to buy a pig in a poke.

Why ask me? You read the article, right? So tell us about it, don’t just make vague innuendoes… or is that all the article does? Gee, glad I didn’t subscribe!

Are you seriously that unaware of who Rev. Moon is?

John Kerry’s grandfather was an Austrian Jewish brewer named Frederick Kohen, who converted to Catholicism and raised his children Catholic. That would make Kerry’s father Jewish (even though he was raised Catholic.) So indeed, he was different from the WASP elite of the area in that he was both Catholic in religion and part-Jewish in ethnicity.

Boy, Snakespirit, you’re lacking in motivation. The blurb says “Want to read the whole article? You have two options: Subscribe now, or watch a brief ad and get a free day pass.” So you don’t have to pay a damn thing. Of course, if you’re trying to get out of reading it because you don’t want to…

The man is about three miles beyond batshit crazy.

I think this link should let you read the story. If you don’t want to read it, of course, you don’t have to. But stop pretending you can’t and trying to use it against factorial.

A google search shows several accessible, non-elitist, sources describing the article Minty pointed to that was hidden from “mainstream” eyes by salon.com.

Looks like Moon, (the owner of the Washington Post) duped some democratic and republican congressmen and senators to participate in a “crowning” of him on federal property.

John kerry wasn’t there, evidently, neither was George Bush.

Shit, even the Washington Post had a derisive article about the event!

Can we go back to the OP now?

Lamar replied to Marley: *"[…] the Bushes were surely more wealthy than the Kerrys, but whatever…"

I don’t think that is true.
Regardless, it puts him out of the “mainstream”, don’t ya think?*

Bush and Kerry finances according to their 2003 tax returns:

Obviously, in economic terms the Kerrys are indeed well out of the “mainstream”, but so are the Bushes and Cheneys. In general, Republican leaders who try to paint Democratic leaders as some sort of “rich elite” are living in glass houses.

No, your link was as worthless as your opinions.

Boy, you sure know how to go on the attack and misrepresent things!

I’m not about to reconfigure my computer so I can get their cookies to read one article. Especially when the story is available elsewhere free.

And where do you get off with your ASS-umptions?

You ASS ume I don’t want to read the article.
You ASS ume I’m pretending I can’t read it.
You ASS ume I don’t know who Moon is.

Next time get the HOLE story before you start jumping on people.

:wally

So Republicans, who despise Democrats for supporting policies which prevent them getting richer than they are, don’t like Kerry because he is… richer than they are.

My bad; Minty linked to the Salon article first.

The point isn’t just that he was crowned, it’s one tiny piece of evidence to demonstrate that the man is a nutbar. So his newspaper is not a great cite!

We wouldn’t be talking about the guy if you hadn’t tried to use the Washington Times during a serious discussion. :rolleyes:

Your reading is, again, less than thorough. Moon owns the Washington TIMES, the paper you used. The Washington POST is considered a respectable news source by most. If you’d cited the POST, I don’t think there would have been a hijack.

Worked for me.

What did I misrepresent?

Great. After all that bellyaching, you realized you could read it for free. Congrats. Do you understand why it was brought up yet?

Pretty much anyone able to run for office as president these days will have to be somewhere up in that “rich elite” bracket. In fact I’ve been thinking lately that it’s really getting to the point where our vote only determines who we’re going to get screwed by and how.

“So, who are you voting against in this election?” Since frankly, there’s not much good reason to vote for either one of the two major candidates…

Hmmmm. Maybe we can get AH-Nold to run??? :frowning:

Is anybody “in the mainstream?”

Says you.

Yeah, he’s an Average Joe if ever I saw one. There’s the minor matter of the Constitution not allowing him to run, though.

In terms of wealth? I doubt it. But being rich or poor doesn’t make you automatically more qualified for office.