Is killing bugs forbidden in any religion?

Some centipedes have venom, and your cat could be hurt by that venom. My cats do like to kill moths, however.

They have those bug vacuum-guns, that always sounded to me like the right solution. Then, unless you really want to, you don’t even have to kill them.

Really? You arm your cats? Does that really seem like a good idea?

Hell woman! Next you’ll want to take away our right to arm bears! You can have my kodiak’s ought thirty when you pry it from his cold, dead paws.

These are Scutigera coleoptrata, house centipedes. I understand they are venomous, but that their venom is not particularly dangerous - sources I found compared it to a mild bee sting. If that’s the case, then I’m not terribly worried - I figure if one manages to get the cat, she’ll probably decide not to chase them again.

I don’t mean to sound callous. But she really, really seems to enjoy hunting them. Our cats are indoors only, but apparently she still has her hunter instincts. I could try to stop her, but I’m guessing they live in our basement, which means she probably is going to find them when we’re not around to stop her anyway.

The other cat likes to kill moths. She seems to confuse them with birds - when she sees one in the house, she sings to it, the way cats do when they’re watching birds.

She’s not the brightest cat I’ve ever known.

I’ve never heard of this, nor do I particularly remember observing it, although I’ve had cats all my (rather short so far) life. Linky for the curious?

Thought I’d add, BTW, that cats aren’t the only ones who confuse moths with birds.

It’s called a “hunting trill”- very strange and moderately rare.

Can’t find a quote right now, but it’s been linked to the action of eating. I had a cat once, that did it at the horses that lived on the hill behind the house (I guess they looked small as they were far away). Always reminded me of the Hannibal Lechter mouth thing, but more tuneful…

Can you mail your cat to my house to deal with my millipede infestation? My cats are too afraid of them to do anything about it. And my religion permits the obliteration of those leggy bastards.

So, let’s say you killed that grasshopper—or even a human being.

In Judaism, how do you get absolution for your sins? (Not being funny.)
Same question for Jains.

Don’t Hindus, with their belief in reincarnation, avoid (if not specifically forbid) killing any creature? I was taught that in a comparative religion course, anyway.

I’ve already told God that I apologize for killing so many spiders, but I can’t repent, and I hope He’ll forgive me anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ugh, I have milipedes everywhere as well this time of year. Unfortunately, my cats aren’t any good for getting rid of them – they move very slowly, so the cats paw at them a few times and then lose interest. But let them see one of the tiny house spiders (which I actually do want to encourage them to live in my apartment) and they’ll sit for half an hour staring at the ceiling trilling in frustration.

Millipedes defend themselves by a bad smell. To a cat, it’s likely too horrible to even mouth

I used to have a cat with a faulty sense of smell. If only I knew!

Well, I could have sworn that Tibetan buddhists fit the description of the OP, but from what I’ve looked up, it seems that it’s only occasionally or in special circumstances that killing all animals is forbidden. e.g. from here
http://www.tibet.com/Eco/eco7.html

Judaism has a very My Name Is Earl approach.

If I killed a human being, other than in self defense or certain other situations, I can never be really forgiven. I can work and gain forgiveness from my victims friends and family for depriving them of this person. But only the victim has the ability to forgive me for killing him. Most sins aren’t this severe. If somebody sins against us, we are encouraged to forgive them when they repent and seek to make things right. We are also urged to ask forgiveness, and seek to make restitution just like Earl. In certain circumstances, refusing to grant forgiveness is actually a sin.

If I yell at my mother, I must be truly sorry and ask forgiveness. Since I’ve also broken a commandment, I must ask forgiveness from G-d as well. But, Mom cannot forgive me for breaking G-d’s law and G-d cannot forfgive me for hurting my mother’s feelings.

If get angry and kill a grasshopper, I cannot get forgiveness from the dead insect or make restitution to it. I can ask forgiveness from G-d for violating the law and breaking something he told me to take care of.

I am so relieved to find this out. Winston used to do that singing thing, and as no cat we’ve had before or since did, we were rather puzzled.