Is LMGTFY unacceptable snark?

I personally find Google often very difficult – out of 2,981,437 hits, how do I know which are reliable? And there are (believe it or not) newcomers to the internet who really don’t know how to use Google, or Wikipedia, etc. I have a cousin, she’s 70, she uses email just fine (pretty much) but she gets confused by some other interenet activities.

When I answer Cecil’s mail, you’d be amazed how many emails come in that ask a question that can be found by searching the Straight Dope Archives. I just respond by saying, “Cecil already answered that, here’s a link… and by the way, you can find this and many other interesting things yourself by searching our Archives.”

So, I don’t think it’s necessarily snarky to tell people where to find an answer. Sometimes, I think it’s satisfactory to say, “You can look that up in any reasonable dictionary” thus telling people how to find an answer.

Replaced by Wikipedia. :wink:

You can be helpful along with snarky, though. Example response to “dumb question”.

I think a certain level of snark is acceptable as long as the poster correctly answers the question. A LMGTFY answer can be complete and correct, but often it’s not, as there’s some nuance to the question or some expert interpretation required of the answer.

I agree that GQ priorities are delivering the answer and educating the OP on how to get the answer. Snark is incidental and fine in moderation, but inappropriate when coupled with a wrong or incomplete answer, which LMGTFY often is. There are certain posters who seem to value snark above actually being correct. That shouldn’t be encouraged.

Except that posting a LMGTFY link DOES answer the question. And many times, it offers the OP a chance to see why his/her initial attempts to Google it (if they ever did) were unsuccessful (poor choice of search terms, etc.).

As mentioned several times, LMGTFY does answer the question.

I can see it being abused (not everyone knows how to use search terms efficiently), but sometimes I think it’s absolutely called for.

And while I don’t at all disagree with our cardinal rule of “don’t be a jerk,” I think it’s worth keeping in mind that our dear leader Cecil is a bit of a smartass, and that LMGTFY is pretty mild compared to some of his columns over the decades. And, quite frankly, if people put in the slightest bit of effort once in a while, perhaps Fighting Ignorance wouldn’t be Taking so Long.