Is Monty Python and the Holy Grail actually about cosplay?

Pretty much. In fact, Life of Brian is really the only film with something consisting of a coherent plot, which apparently bothered some of the Python members so much they inserted the whole alien abduction sequence which had no point whatsoever except as a deus ex machina to explain how Brian survives an otherwise fatal flaw.

Stranger

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: “The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist”, “Fillings of Passion”, “The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink”.

So there’s this: “The first LARPs were run in the late 1970s, inspired by tabletop role-playing games and genre fiction. The activity spread internationally during the 1980s and has diversified into a wide variety of styles…The earliest recorded LARP group is Dagorhir , which was founded in 1977 in the United States and focuses on [fantasy].”

https://web.archive.org/web/20070629193916/http://www.dagorhir.com/dagorhir/history.htm

Ever heard of Discordianism?

It may be that Monty Python inspired LARPing. Or these chaps were conducting in much more progressive anti- establishment sort of ways which is indicative of the time. Grail comes out in '75, LARPing follows two years later. Could be coincidence… would have to ask Dagorhir.

The irony of Grail being a LARP is that, well, that’s essentially what modern Christendom is doing, galavanting across the countryside, going from serfdom to serfdom declaring himself, Authur, king. Oppressing and murdering along the way while he pursues his delusion in the face of all manner of depravity, filth, and pestilence.

But the peasantry barely acknowledge him, cite “the violence inherent in the system.” The French mock them constantly, and the knights run them on silly errands, which they do not understand, they are naive, truly lost. The world they inhabit is filled with similarly naive and crude individuals engaged in all manner of horrific ignorance and despotic behavior.

Meanwhile, in the real world, they’ve managed to commit a heinous crime, and go on about their mission fully oblivious of their affect, consumed with entitlement, submitted to a “higher power.”

The film ends abruptly because their delusion ends abruptly when they are confronted with the actual authority; the harsh reality and consequence of their actions in the real world; the scientific forensic methodology of the modern world catching up with them, the tragic naive.

Role credits.

It’s genius.

How do you explain in Blazing Saddles though when Lamar escapes the films set to go watch the finished movie at Man’s Chinese Theater. If the movie is still being shot how does he see a finished copy in theaters?

Have you heard the expression “A Wizard did it.”
Well in this case the answer is instead, “Mel Brooks did it.”

Instant cassettes. They’re out in stores before the movie is finished.

Yes. Thank you.

ETA: Oh for Christ’s sake- zombie thread.

Man, I’d love to see a Monty Python zombie movie.

I know this is a zombie, but I think it’s worth mentioning that a sort of precursor to LARPing, reenactments, did exist well before the TV-series, and featured in it (this version of the clip switches to battling kittens, but the intro is the one from the TV-series and not the crappy, later movie version).

You’re all loonies.

I have to point out that probably the best known British re-enactment society, the Sealed Knot does actually pre-date Monty Python’s Holy Grail. They wouldn’t have been very big then, but they did exist.

I just now learned, from checking Wikipedia, that

and

Surely we have enough of our own wars to re-enact, without borrowing yours?

Giving the movie a more rational basis makes it less absurd. That doesn’t sound very Python-like.

It’s only a model…

Shhhh.