Is my cat ever going to learn to take his f'n pill?

The technique.

The vet tech was showing me how to get the valium in my cat, yeah, she got scratched and bit. I warned her. I never saw her again. So I got the pill shooter. Vet was gonna show me how to put it in the cats mouth and pop, yeah, she got bit and scratched, I warned her. I have seen her again. Though now she wears those big gloves when we come in. She actually told me to put socks on the cat before I grab him to give him the meds. Yeah, that’s gonna work. What a rank amateur. I rely on sneaky tactics that actually work. (Sometimes) I do have all my fingers and eyeballs. He’s such a beautiful representative of his breed, sparkly blue eyes, soft fur and silky mink-like ears. And…a bad attitude!

Yep, it’s Roadrunner. They send toys too. :slight_smile:

I had to give my cat three daily pills for chemotherapy. The only thing that worked was pulverizing the pills and dissolving them in a few tablespoons of condensed milk. The only problem was keeping the other cat away.

Our GSD was diagnosed with Lyme Disease a few years ago and there was a shortage of the medication. We were able to track down the drug, but only as a 50 mg capsule, so I had to give her six capsules twice a day.

We had just gotten some very good, very pricey cheese, and I discovered she’d take her capsules easily when wrapped in it. I didn’t want to use the very expensive cheese for medicating the dog, so I bought a huge amount (six capsules a day for thirty days) of cheap cheese.

She would not touch the cheap cheese, nor would our other two dogs. I ended up eventually consuming all the cheap crap, while the dog got the good stuff.

Before crushing a tablet or opening a capsule, please double check with your DVM that it won’t affect the appropriate delivery of the medication!

Avarie537, RVT

I’ve had to dose my dog with liquid valium rectally to break up a cluster of seizures. At least she wasn’t actively fighting me.

Your vet let you do that? My cat’s chemo comes with, like, eight thousand warnings about how it’s super toxic to anyone who isn’t a cat with lymphoma and we can’t open the capsule and we have to handle it with gloves just in case it breaks and ect etc etc.

When I was a child, we had a baby-factory mama cat (most of the kittens became barn cats for area farmers). At one point, a kitten died, and the vet said it was distemper, and gave us pills for mama and the surviving kittens.

We pilled the kittens first, and they were terrors - yowling, scratching, biting, spitting out the pill - no fun at all. So, when it came time to do mom, we gathered three or four of us (memory fades) to hold various limbs, open her mouth, and drop in the pill. She turned out to not care in the least - no struggle, swallowed the pill, went on her way. So, as has been noted before, cats is weird.

What won’t we do for our pets? And, I must have cheap dates for dogs, they’ll eat any cheese happily.

Get a syringe with a wide tip, such that you can fit the pill into the mouth of it. Ask at the pharmacy counter, they’re usually good about this stuff.

Find a squishy canned food that the cat likes. Usually the cheap stuff works best for this.

For a couple of weeks, just give her a bit of yummy food from the syringe morning and night. When she begins to come running when she sees the syringe, then start putting the yummy inside, and stick the pill on the outside mouth of the syringe.

Then put it in at the side of the mouth,and push the pill down her throat while the yummy goes on her tongue. Dr. Stranglove’s link is very good, and shows how deep it needs to go to avoid spitting up.

The mistake to avoid is not putting it deep enough. Cats won’t gag like humans do. If you anthropomorphize, and put it too shallow, then she’ll taste the yucky pill and avoid the syringe.

I had to pill my cat due to a heart condition for 17 years. He was relatively cooperative; he never understood why I kept doing it, but didn’t bite or scratch when I tried.

My method was to put him on his back, pry open his mouth with one hand, and drop the pill in the back of his throat with the other. He’d try to spit it out if you didn’t hit the right spot, and sometimes he’d hide it and spit it out later, but he swallowed most of it.