Is "onjulating" a word?

It isn’t an eggcorn. It’s simply a horribly mangled phonetic spelling.

But that’s as it should be - Google is only helping you find what’s out there, not creating it.

Your editor’s right. It’s a perfectly cromulent word!

Anyway, I think we should be able to just make words up as we go-goesalongway

I reread the email the editor sent me, and now I’m cringing even more. He claims that in addiction to the people telling him it was a real word, he also found it on the Internet. I’m not sure which is worse - using the word to begin with, or claiming it is a real word because he found it on the Internet.

He does give a little, though, when he says “your word makes more sense.” So I just want it known that “undulate” is my word. Mine. Please don’t use it without written permission from me. If you need a word that means “rolling”, I suggest you make one up.

That’s not “giving a little”, that’s a total climbdown. It’s self-righteous-prick-speak for “I was totally wrong, you were right, but I’d sooner die than admit that to you.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I was going to say that a varied and imaginative vocabulary will embiggen any man.

:dubious:

Never mind. You’ll get a new editor when this one is abducted by Nigerian scammers.

For all intensive porpoises, that’s a perfuctly good utilization of that word. I would of used it in the same way two.

The guy’s an editor? How the hell did that happen!?

That’s actually spelled “yoodle-i-zayshun”.

I knew before I even started this thread that I was damning myself. There is no way you can start a spelling or grammar thread without misusing/misspelling a word at least once. I accepted my fate before my fingers hit the keyboard.

It’s called ‘Gaudere’s Law’. But don’t worry: anyone can make a Freudian slit.

What if all I have is Jungian scissors?

Just don’t run with them.

Or onjulate. That could get ugly.

Didn’t he write The English Patient?