Is racism really that evil?

Voting for Obama because he’s black: they just think he will look after them
Voting against Obama because he’s black: racism!

Typical Liberal hypocrisy

Blacks voted for Obama because he was a democrat and they knew he probably (and didn’t) get as much of the white vote as Clinton.

Unsurprisingly, Ulfreida was bang on.

Typical conservative irrationality.

Racism makes sense in some contexts. Well, for certain fucked-up values of “sense”.

If you have a slave society where you’ve decided that the slaves and masters are conveniently color-coded, then, yeah, racism makes sense.

When you no longer have slavery and have decided that people get the same rights regardless of melanin levels, then racism is a recipe for a gigantic clusterfuck. That’s when it’s time to let go of it already.

Methinks you have been whooshed, good sir.

It just proves they aren’t idiots. The Republicans are their enemies; voting for their enemies would be a foolish act.

And “race” and “racism” is an artificial construct created to justify European imperialism and the associated slave trade; it’s not something inherent to being human. Someone from before its creation like an ancient Roman or Chinese while they’d probably have their own bigotries wouldn’t even recognize “races” as we use the term, much less have the same opinion of them.

This is true. I don’t recall where I read it (WaPo?) but blacks as a group overwhelmingly supported Hillary over Obama in the first primary until Obama transformed into a viable, electable candidate, at which point their allegiance shifted. They supported who they thought served their interests best, which wasn’t always “the black guy.”

Tell that to the Neanderthals.

No, I don’t think he was, though the post he was responding to was so inane, I can see why you might be confused.

Then you haven’t noticed that PSXer makes jokes of this nature all the time. Heck, I’m surprised when he’s serious.

If he’s rename himself Poe’s Law, maybe more people would notice.

They were not a “race”; they were a species or possibly subspecies.

Not quite. “Race” is simply a division of human beings into groups along phenotypic (and now, genotypic) lines. The lines we draw and where we draw them are artificial constructs; that there are lines drawn is a biological side effect of our species extreme socialization that probably predates humanity and certainly predates human settlement of Europe; that there are distinctions is a consequence of there being more than one human.

Considering my family is from the UK originally I’d have to say yes. But I’d be in between, I’d have a lot in common with a black American too living in the same country and all. And i don’t feel like I have any more in common with white rednecks than I do with blacks because I see them as being more or less a different race of whites.

Let me guess: you’ve never been outside the USA and seen racism in other countries? Let me assure you that whites can be the victims of racism; let me assure you that people of all colours can be racist.

How is nationalism any different from racism? I would argue in some ways a white American does have more in common with a Pole than with a black American. Black American culture is still very African in a lot of ways.

My point is that they overwhelmingly voted for him because he was black. I don’t know what the proportion of blacks who voted for Clinton was but I would imagine it was considerably lower (edit: 93% for Obama in 2012, 84% for Clinton in 1996. I’d say that’s a considerable difference…) . Same with the OJ verdict … they supported OJ just because he was black. To be fair a lot of whites supported Zimmerman because he’s (ostensibly) white though, so it’s not only black people who are ethnocentric in that sense.

Racial boundaries tend to be created by geographical boundaries, such as the Himalayas, the Sahara Desert, and the Atlantic Ocean.

Studies have found that racist attitudes are most prevalent in India and the Middle East and least prevalent in Western white-majority countries.

This never actually existed; there were Cherokee and even black slave owners and there were white slaves. Blacks from Africa were imported because the Native Americans refused to work.

No, it’s much more arbitrary than that. It has nothing to do with genes and little to do with appearance.

No; they overwhelmingly voted for him because ever since the Republicans started pandering to the white racists in the 60s blacks have voted overwhelmingly for Democrats. They’d have voted overwhelmingly for him if he was plaid, because he was the Democrat and not the Republican. And they’ll keep doing so as long as the Republicans remain the unofficial party of white racists; they’d be fools not to.

So then yes. Gotcha.

When are idiot Republicans going to stop trotting out this statistic as if it’s worth a damn? Seriously, name the last election when black people voted for a Democrat president in numbers less than 90%. When was this? 50 years ago? Sit down with the “Well teh blacks voted for Obama” hysteria. Over 90% of black voters turned out for John Kerry, for crying out loud, and there is nobody on Earth whiter.