[QUOTE=Pochacco]
Then why were we supporting the Chinese in the first place? If we hadn’t cared about what the Japanese did in Asia, we could have avoided war entirely.
[/QUOTE]
Why did we support the Brits and Russians? Because it was in our interest to support all of them. Doesn’t mean we had any intention of going to war though…in fact, I’d say its a good indication that we had no such intentions.
[QUOTE=Pochacco]
We put pressure on them to achieve our political goals. We assumed they would cave. They attacked instead. We fought back. It’s disingenuous to pretend that Pearl Harbor didn’t occur as part of an escalating confrontation between the United States and Japan over who controlled large chunks of Asia.
[/QUOTE]
I didn’t say that Pearl Harbor was some kind of isolated incident, disconnected from anything else and out of the blue. I SAID that the reason the US fought Japa was because they attacked us at Pearl Harbor. Which is exactly why we fought them…nothing more, nothing less. The reasons for Japan to attack the US are irrelevent to why the US joined the war. You are attempting to bring in stuff I wasn’t talking about to the discussion. If you want to go into all the reasons Japan attacked the US, and the reasons the US did what it did wrt the oil embargo, we can certainly do that…but the primary reason the US went to war with Japan is simply that they attacked and sunk our fleet. Freeing Asia or any of that other stuff were simply effects…not causes.
[QUOTE=Pochacco]
Please describe specifically the scenario we are trying to prevent here. First you raise the spectre of a pan-Islamismic revolution, but when I say that’s ridiculous you say, well, yes it is, but they don’t actually have to take control of a bunch of countries, they just have to DISRUPT things.
[/QUOTE]
Um…do you really not realize how unstable several of the regimes in the area are? What would they have to disrupt? How about the House of Saud? Ruling house in Kuait? Any of those ring bells? How about smash the already fragile and fucked up Iraqi situation into full scale civil war? Any of this getting through?
You asked me what AQ’s goal is…their goal is the creation of an Islamic fundamentalist superstate encompassing much of the Saudi peninsula, Kuait, Iraq and Iran…maybe a few other choice pieces. I never said it was ridiculous…YOU did. I said that it may or may not be realistic for them to achieve, but to fuck with the west all they have to do is manage to throw the region into chaos. Seems pretty clear to me…I really don’t understand why you think its so incredible a concept.
[QUOTE=Pochacco]
The worst thing I can see in realpolitik terms is if they were able to lead a popular revolt in Saudi Arabia and depose the House of Saud. But, then what? Even then they would probably keep the oil flowing so they could continue to fund their pan-Islamic pipedream. And if they did cut off the oil (slitting their own throats in the process) it would take about three weeks for the U.S. Army to seize control of the oil fields and open the taps again.
[/QUOTE]
:rolleyes: So, you figure that if they can bring about chaos and civil war in Saudi that the oil will just keep flowing, ehe? Whats your indication of that exactly? Have you perhaps noticed that little dust up in Iraq? Maybe you are aware that the oil hasn’t exactly been flowing too well? And you figure that in the power vaccume of a deposed House of Saud and full scale civil war that would most likely follow, with terrorists/insurgents blowing stuff up and having a good ole time, that the oil will just magically keep flowing?!? Not to mention that by this same magic that ONLY Saudi will be effected by such an event…or that AQ (or whoever) will ONLY be doing stuff in Saudi??
Um…sure.
[QUOTE=Pochacco]
No, I see Al Qaeda as about the same level of threat as the militia movement in the United States in the 1990’s: Capable of committing heinous acts, but politically a dead end.
[/QUOTE]
Then all I can say is you are living in a fantasy world. I find it hard to believe that anyone who is following things there thinks that AQ is a dead end, is not wildly popular in the region, etc. If you like we can play cite wars about this…you show me some cites clearly indicating how unpopular AQ is in the region, how its a political dead end…and I’ll see if I can, through massive effort, dig up a cite or two showing that, no…AQ is actually quite popular and far from a dead end. Want to do that (I hesitate only because I’m unsure if its a hijack)?
-XT