is the missing dollar unanswerable

So, the other day, I had ten bucks in my pocket, and a friend asked to borrow a five. Well, then I had $5, and he had $5, and $5 - $5 = $0! All of my money dissappeared! Those mathematicians stole it from me! :mad:

The #9 is weird, because, for one thing, in any multiple of 9, the numbers in it will add up to nine or a multiple thereof: for example…in 81, 8 and 1 are 9…in 63, 6 and 3 add up to 9…in 25,191,546,381, those numbers add up to 45, a multiple of 9.

What’s so weird about that? The same thing is true for “3.” The “9” is just a special case of the “3” rule.

Er… 3 + 0 = 3. Good so far. 6 + 0 = 6. Well, maybe its an exception. 9 + 0 = 9. Er, 2 exceptions. 1 + 2 = 3. Well, that’s a gooder. 1 + 5 = 6. sighs

Maybe I misunderstood you?

It doesn’t matter, 'cause we’re doing a money trick.

Yes, you must have, if you’re talking about the post above yours. If a number’s digits are added up, and the sum is evenly divisible by 3, the number is divisble by three. The same is true for 9.

30: 3+0=3, evenly divisible by 3.
60: 6+0=6, evenly divisble by 3.
You can even extend it by adding the sum’s digits.
23985940303212: 2+3+9+8+5+9+4+0+3+0+3+2+1+2=51, 5+1=6, evenly divisble by 3.

The real question is why Monalisa9 reincarnated one of the most annoying types of threads on the board. Going to hunt some grys later?

I think this more recent thread may have prompted Monalisa9 to bump this old thread. Don’t know why the comment about the number 9 wasn’t just posted in the more recent thread, though.

Come to think of it, Monalisa9’s post about the number 9 came straight out of the left field - it seems to be completely unrelated to the thread topic. :confused:

So anyway, what the heck happened to the missing dollar in the end? :slight_smile:

Harry S. Truman got it.

Here is the correct answer

You have to devide the cost of the room by 3 which gives you $8.3333333 apiece x 3 = 28 plus the 2 for the bell boy.
The extra dollar went towards paying for the hotel and was devided by 3 which is 33.33333.

I wished ANYthing in NYC could cost only $10…

Just in case anyone’s still wondering about this: the ‘riddle’ comes from the fact that 27+2 is a completely irrelevant figure. The cost of the room is 27-2, and the total money kicking around is 27-2+5, i.e. the cost of the room minus -5, the cost of the refund.

Mind you, given the events of 9/11, I must say that every character in this riddle is a hero.
:smack:

ooooh it was so cute…

the explanation was fine too

Prediction: this thread will still be alive in the year 2005.

Yeah, even though it has been answered correctly several times and incorrectly numerous times.

that is how forums work…

:wink:

You mean that after a question has been correctly answered in GQ it is considered proper for people to continue answering it incorrectly? I’ll be darned.

no barbit

I meant people much too often do not read the whole thread … they just read the intro, the last few posts, and then they ask :

what is all that about here ???

The real riddle is where does one find a hotel dude that will refund $5.

Bah! Off-the-cuff explainations, algabraic equations, and in-depth analysis of this problem are for those with a dreadful lack of ambition. What I want to know is how I can incorporate the fundamentals of the missing dollar into my next money-making scheme.