Is the Office of the Vice President part of the Executive Branch?

Ben’s Guide To the U.S. Government He is in the executive. He is weaseling.

Here’s what I don’t get–this is all over the interpretation of an Executive Order, right? An Executive Order, as understand it, is simply a Presidential fiat. It may have been issued by a previous president, but the current president can surely clarify the mater, by issuing a new Order, if necessary. In fact, it seems that it would be his duty to do so, as head of the Executive Branch. Why should the AG be involved at all (except in an advisory capacity)?

I don’t think Cheney has leg one to stand on here.

Certainly there are some constitutional responsibilities that properly belong to the Vice-President, and him alone. But to the extent that he is included in functions of the Executive Branch such as even being provided access to classified material, he has to play by Executive Branch rules.

Furthermore, the further he pushes this, the less support he will have. I don’t see a tremendous swell of support for this novel theory among most conservative commentators.

This ought to be hauled off and left to die.

So, the President isn’t supposed to be “affected” by the EO either?

I mean, really? Am I just missing something here?
LilShieste

Bush apparently meant to exempt himself but forgot :smack:

<sigh> Sorry (again) - that was me, not Galena.

Anyway, I forgot to comment on this part:

Well, as long as he knows what he was talking about; that’s what counts. Does he realize that he doesn’t actually live inside of a bubble?
LilShieste

Well, in a sense he does live inside a bubble . . .

I would make the argument that if the Office is part of both branches, then it should be subject to the rules of both branches, not exempt from them. When the VP acts in an executive role (which I believe he is in this matter), he is subject to Executive branch policies such as the EO. And when he acts in a legislative role (which I believe only occurs when he physically presides over the Senate and has to cast a tie-breaker) then he is subject to Legislative branch policies.

Basically, I think on a day-to-day basis he is part of the Executive branch exempt when he is actually performing his constitutional roles in the Senate. He doesnt get to decide to ‘bill’ this hour to the White House, and that hour to the Congress, based on whatever is convenient for him at the moment.

Can we please impeach these guys already? While they at least still acknowledge the Constitution? And when we do, can we stick them in Guantanomo while they await trial? Pretty please!

In this morning’s WaPo, Barton Gellman has the first installment of a four-part series about Cheney and how he wielded power in this Administration.

If you’re interested in Cheney’s role in the Administration, you’ll really want to read the story at the above link. It’s quite a description of how Cheney and his proxies, particularly David Addington, managed to act in a bunch of different places and roles within the Executive Branch, making decisions, blocking other decisions, without ever leaving their names on a piece of paper anywhere.

For instance, here’s John Yoo, nominally then-AG Ashcroft’s subordinate, effectively working for Addington:

Hell, I’d have been rude too.

Addington acting through Gonzales:

Cheney cutting himself in on other Administration players’ communications:

I’ve left out stuff that’s as good as what I’ve quoted. Josh Marshall’s also had excerpts up today. Go read.

Andrew Sullivan comments:

Salon has a nice little Top 10 synopsis as well:

While Cheney’s argument posts a genuine, interesting question, his conclusion is entirely disingenuous. Yes, perhaps it is interesting that the vice presidency has elements of the executive and the legislative branch, so you might legitimately argue that it is an executive position or a legislative position or both, but there is nothing in the constitution that justifies concluding that it is neither.

Can’t have his cake and eat it too, as the confusing proverb goes.

Cheney is happy to claim executive privilege when it suits him and happy to accept funding out of the executive pool of funds. He should not use this flimsy argument to duck away from the executive branch whenever it pleases him and return whenever the water temperature is more to his liking. I agree with the commentary from Rahm Emanuel when he says, “At the very least, the Vice President should be consistent.”

For perhaps the first time, I’m in 100% agreement with bricker .

If Cheney wants to be part of the Legislative Branch, I’m all for it as long as that means Nancy Pelosi gets unfettered access to his files.

Regarding No. 3, “Secrecy,” here’s a pic of a document-shredding company’s truck parked outside Cheney’s house.

Does she get unfettered access to any Congresscritter’s files?

He might well be worried about what would come out if all the detainees were released or got a court date.

Well no but it is a happy thought.

It is called the Vice President. I know that is simplistic, but I think it is telling. Since “vice” means “in place of” it seems to me that the Vice President would be seen as an executive meant to serve in stead of the President, under certain conditions.