Is the science of fingerprints reliable?

That’s a very interesting wiki and fills in several aspects of the case which the documentary didn’t cover. One thing I don’t understand. The attorney later sued the FBI for invasion of his privacy and challenged the constitutionality of the Patriot Act under which the FBI had acted. The judge found in his favor but that ruling was overturned by the appeal court on the grounds that Mayfield didn’t have standing.

Now standing is defined by Wikipedia thus: “the ability of a party to demonstrate to the court sufficient connection to and harm from the law or action challenged to support that party’s participation in the case.” How on earth did Mayfield not have standing in this case?

Why don’t you go look up the decision of the appellate court that said he didn’t. The great thing about decisions is that they are accompanied by explanations. :wink:

Google is my friend in other words. Fair enough, no offense taken.

In case you are still confused, it’s because the government had settled with him and the remaining cause of action left to him was not one where standing could be found. If he was still pursuing a §1983 claim he would certainly have had standing.

-Paul Simon, The Myth of Fingerprints

IIRC, even back around 1900, Sherlock Holmes in one of his cases encountered fabricated fingerprint evidence. (Made from a thumbprint on a wax seal, if it’s not too much a spoiler).

The “no two identical” claim comes from statistics - apparently fingerprints are random developments during gestation, although the basic patterns seem to be hereditary. As a result, the odds become astronomical depending on how identical you want your match to be. it’s like the monkeys typing Shakespeare theory - the odds are so unlikely that they are impossible. But if you just calculate the odds of say, 24 points matching - an elementary 2^24 is still a large number (4 million?), and IIRC the values of those 24 numbers are not a simple binary.

I’ve read all my life that there is a 1 in 7 billion chance that any two people will have identical fingerprints.

No cite, because I don’t remember where I’ve seen that claim, but I’ve seen it in multiple books over the years.

Back of envelope guess, fingerprint lines appear to be roughly(!) 2 per mm. back of the envelope calculation, a fingerprint pad is 1x2cm (the part that is left at the crime scene, ignoring the wraparound and the further parts of the finger). So there are 1x50x2x50 = 5,000 points where a line might end, continue, or merge - 3 choices. (We’re not even talking whether the “continue” is up-down or left-right; there are default patterns, circular or inverted T patterns).

So 3^5,000; even eliminate a few points since a fingerprint identical but shifted up or down fraction is still a match… so say 3^2500 = 6x10^1192
I’d say that approaches monkey-typing-Shakespeare improbability unless you can show there’s a repeatable mechanism for determining how fingerprint patterns are formed.

But, as pointed out very early in the thread, proving a negative is pretty much impossible; we have only the empirical evidence to go on, and nobody has mentioned any regular instances of “almost identical”.

Actually, almost-identical fingerprints are fairly common, since identical twins have almost-identical fingerprints.

It made for a good story. But I’ve never heard of that type of fakery ever having been accomplished in real life. And while wax seals are not commonplace now, you could theoretically trick someone into leaving a thumbprint in another yielding substance (a banana? a wedge of cheese?) and try to leave that impression on a streak of blood at the crime scene. The foreign matter might give you away though.

Short of truly identical fingerprints turning up in the future, I’m not sure how the uniqueness of fingerprints could be “disproved”.

I’m reminded of elements of modern medicine that have never been established on the basis of rigorous clinical trials. For instance, we haven’t really proven that surgery for a ruptured appendix saves lives. Odds are that the necessary “proof” will never be forthcoming, unless a lot of people with impending appendiceal ruptures volunteer for a study, knowing that they could be assigned to the control group. :eek:

We’re not talking about an entire fingerprint in these cases. These fingerprints aren’t collected by experts using ink pads. They collect fragmentary and distorted latent prints which they rotate and skew and shape to fit. Here’s an interesting study done for the U. S. Department of Justice. An excerpt:

So, hey, you’ve got less than a 1 in 25 chance of getting a false match. That’s pretty good, right?

There were 56 fingerprint examiners used in the study, so one-third of them made at least one false alarm, and one of them made ten. I kind of hope that one isn’t examining my fingerprints, but he/she is likely out there examining someone else’s right now.

How do you jump from “almost-identical fingerprints with identical twins” to fairly common (implied between random strangers)? That’s a big leap since identical twins are a narrow subset of the general population.

He didn’t say that it applied to random strangers. He simply said that there are a lot of identical twins. :wink:

If you have a fingerprint you are using to try and establish the identity of the perpetrator of a crime, and that person has an identical twin, then there is likely to be one set of almost-identical fingerprints, right?

The pattern that is “matched” in fingerprints is the points where lines end, or merge. The general patterns fall into the category of oval whorls or inverted T pattern of loops, and this is somewhat inherited. AFAIK (not an expert) the likelihood that a pair of identical twins will have “almost identical” patterns is not much better than any two related individuals who inherit the same master pattern. The line components are determined randomly during fetal development.