Is there a cultural significance to the number 64 in France?

If they were aiming for a motor-sports type of sporty you’d think they’d choose 72.

WTF, Cayuga, Hypnagogic Jerk and MikeG, all you guys speak French and have access to French tv?

P.S: There’s almost no chance in hell the 64 number is linked to a department for its celebrity status (maybe some designers of the car are from there, who knows). Probably related to something else. I’ve never understood the Peugeot numbering system.

Well, I kinda speak it, after a fashion. No one would ever mistake me for a native, or even a literate foreigner.

My cable service (Comcast in NW CT) started carrying TV5 Monde about four or five years ago. It’s a worldwide channel that shows French movies, series, news, and sports. I believe DirecTV and/or Dish Network carry it, too. Comcast charges $5/month—well worth it.

According to a fan site it’s Peugeot trying to market the model towards people who enjoy outdoor activities and the particular lifestyle that is prominent in the Pays Basque… excuse my translation if I’m a little off, I’m rusty.

There’s more marketing tosh after about the connection too, but I lost the will to translate…

They must be trying to capture the spirit of youth and the joy of the outdoor life just as effectively as Cadillac did with the El Dorado Biarritz. Yep, young surfers are definitely what I think of when I look at something like this. :slight_smile:

I’m sure of it, Capitaine. If you go to Biarritz you’ll see this logo (the number 64 in a circle). Here’s some marketing puff that explains the intended meaning:

http://www.64.eu/lamarque.aspx

Ok what it says basically is that there is that T-shirt and sportswear brand named “64” that focuses heavily on sport and that wonderful sense of fun and freedom that you can only find in the Basque country (had never heard of them). So Peugeot partnered with them (apparently they do that with lots of different brands, not necessarily sportswear or regional though) to give you the amazingly fresh Peugeot (cuz it’s not a Peugeot 64, it’s a modified Peugeot 207- Série 64-). So, it is a departement thing, but not exactly a Peugeot idea.

I’m sure the crowd that got addicted to Julien Lepers could have translated that.
4 a la suite les mecs, merde (sounds like my last week end).

EDIT: Christ hibernicus, cant you see I was writing my answer. You know, on other forums you can see who is actually reading the page or even answering. It saves face.
EDIT2: No way in hell though that saying it is linked to Basque country would be enough of a commercial argument in France. It’s Peugeot riding on the name of a sportswear brand (itself linked to Pays Basque).

:stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, I actually auditioned to take part in Question pour un Champions (but didn’t succeed in getting on the show).

[thread=598531]Good idea![/thread]