Is there a non-bigoted reason to be anti-same-sex-marriage?

There are people who claim that there are, just as there are people who claim that god told them they can’t bake a cake for a gay wedding.

I don’t know these people. Perhaps you should go argue with them?

Oh, and who was this?

If you are referring to the baker in Colorado, then you have all the facts entirely wrong in what you just said. If you are referring to something else, please cite or give details.

I consider any discrimination against queer people to be a form of homophobia. I don’t accept, “I’m not a bigot, God’s the bigot, and I just do what he says,” as a valid excuse. But that’s beside the point, which is that you’re misframing the argument as “queer rights versus religious people.” “Religious people” aren’t going to be adversely affected by laws protecting queer rights. “People who want to discriminate against queers” are going to be the people affected by laws protecting queer rights. The majority of religious people in America do not want to discriminate against queer people. They will not be adversely affected by these laws - in fact, many of them will benefit, because many religious people are also queer people.

People who are against queer rights often try to frame the conversation as if people who support queer rights are on one side, and people who are religious are on the the other. We should be conscious of this, and avoid using their misleading language in discussing the issue.

What facts do I have wrong?

Only the bigots need to shut down, if they refuse to follow the public accommodation laws that are put in place that pertain to those who serve the public.

Most Christians who own a bakery will have no problem with this. Only those who justify their bigotry through “religious belief” will.

Please point out where I did this.

Here:

Okay, so you are saying that you are making a religious argument against SSM, but that you are not forcing your beliefs on others?

You seem to have missed something in your own argument here, as it is inherently self contradictory.

Well, it fails the test of whether there’s a reason to oppose it if no one actually has to lose their job.

You are confusing me with someone else. I have not said anyone is being shut down. Some may themselves choose to shut down, but that’s their decision, it’s a free country.

No, I didn’t make it up. You seem to have lost yourself in this conversation.

@filmore, claimed that someone’s opposition to something would only be because their god demands it, not their personal preference, and said that that person would be labeled as a bigot. I said that that person would only be labeled as a bigot if they imposed those beliefs on others.

Someone isn’t a bigot because they don’t want to get married to someone of the same sex. They are only a bigot if they try to prevent someone else from doing so.

It doesn’t matter if it’s their personal preference, or if they are just following the will of a bigoted deity.

I said nothing about a trade-off. I just pointed out the downsides to religious folk of legal SSM. Do you dispute that those downsides exist?

How so?

What I said was pretty clear.

I am saying that there are some people who refuse to do their jobs because they are bigots. If you refuse to do your job, how long do you think you will keep it?

If you were a server in a restaurant, and you refused to serve black people, whose fault is it that you lose your job? Do you think that you could quote come bible verses to keep it?

The part of my post that you cut off explains how so.

The fact that you didn’t quote it doesn’t make it somehow not exist anymore.

It’s possible. There are a lot of people here. Several have said that Christian businesses are being shut down and that they deserve it.

Do you disagree with them?

I dispute that those downsides apply to “religious people” as a group. The group those downsides apply to is, “people who want to discriminate against queer people.”

Or “homophobes,” if you want to save yourself some keystrokes.

Several people have not said that. In fact, not a single poster has said that.

Quote just one.

Hell, I’ll say it.

If you can’t run your business without discriminating against people, you shouldn’t have a business.

No one deserves to have their business shut down because they’re Christian, and I would be opposed to any such example. I’ve never heard of such a thing though, at least not in the USA or Canada.

But that’s not the same as being shut down because they’re Christian, is it? That’s being shut down because they engaged in illegal activity based on civil rights law. Nothing at all about being Christian; the same thing would happen if the owners discriminated in the same way, but were Jews, or Muslims, or Hindus, or atheists.

How many businesses since the legalization of SSM have been shut down BECAUSE they were owned by Christians? The answer is zero.