Is there a non-bigoted reason to be anti-same-sex-marriage?

I was sexually assaulted by a gay man. He grabbed my crotch completely out of the blue and called me a homophobe when I knocked his hand away. It didn’t change my opinions about gay rights at all. Of course it didn’t hurt that his buddies read him the riot act immediately.

I’ve also had gay men flirt with me which wasn’t upsetting at all, though I did have to explain that it wasn’t going anywhere. Why would I be upset if someone finds me attractive?

I’m guessing you’re thinking of another famous book of his, but the point’s the thing.

I’ll actually give them a pass if they’ll refrain from telling me about it.

And, of course, if they’re not telling me about it, I’ve got no idea whether they’re in the first group or the second; even if I happen to know they’re a member of a particular branch of religion that teaches that I’m destined for hell.

Ooh! I’ve got one!

A couple enters, A and B, holding hands. They are the same sex. They are greeted by C.
A: We want to get married
B: Yes, we are very much in love
C: Well, you can’t
B: But we want to
C: I won’t do it
A: But the law says we can
C: Don’t care. I’m not going to do it, ever.
B: But you can see we’re in love?
C: Indeed I can. I’m not going to unite you in marriage. It’s not a thing I will ever allow to happen here.
A: That’s not fair! Why not?
C: This is a Launderette.

Nicely done!

Nitpick: you are thinking of The Blind Side. The Big Short was his book on the 2008 financial crisis. End Nitpick.

This may be a bit tangential to the topic. but I just wanted to say that I will be using this whenever anyone challenges me to define “white privilege” for them. As far as I can tell, it perfectly encapsulates it. Thanks!

Thank you! – but as I understand it, I’ve got white privilege even if I myself am trying not to disregard impact and even if I’m actively trying to fight policies and behavior that has negative impact on others. (While at the same time, I have the reverse of privilege for being female, fat, old, of Jewish heritage, poor, etc.)

If what you mean is that it’s part of white privilege to be able to have that disregard about impact on people who aren’t white: I think you’re right about that.

Yes of course. Similar titles.

My apologies if this has already been covered, I skimmed the thread and didn’t see it, but easily could have missed it.

I have seen at least one extremely ignorant argument against SSM that I feel is not bigoted. Just phenomenally stupid. I remember at least one person arguing that the government has an obligation to encourage hetero marriage so the human race doesn’t die out. I hope I don’t need to explain why this is dumb as fuck.

You really must not have read through this thread if you retain that hope!

“Gay people represent an existential threat to humanity,” sounds a little bit homophobic to me.

Sounds like something you might say if you were secretly attracted only to your own sex, forced yourself to procreate anyway, and assumed everyone else was like you.

Or they’re someone who has a stereotype of gays as exclusively pleasure seeking hedonists who have no interest in starting families.

It’s hard to really interrogate third hand opinions like this, but in my experience, when given the opportunity to engage, I’ve never yet found an opposition to SSM that wasn’t fundamentally rooted in an assumption that gay people are in some way less worthy than straight people.

At best.

One opinion, and I use the term loosely, is that teh gay is a side-effect of genetic defects, so god made them attracted to each other so they couldn’t pass the defects along.

That reads to me more like the reverse of the OP question: it’s a bigoted reason to be in favor of same sex marriage.

ETA: no, I’m not ascribing that opinion to @GreysonCarlisle, who does not appear to me to be claiming it.

Yeah, I was just responding to the two posts I quoted. Was an aside and probably off-topic for the thread.

I didn’t mean to grumble about it, sorry – I just thought it was kind of an interesting inversion.

That reminds me of something I read some years ago; can’t unfortunately recall either the person who was saying this or where I read it, but I’m pretty sure it was a preacher or somebody otherwise prominent in some small church group. He was against allowing gay relationships because, he said, if those were allowed there wouldn’t be enough children born, because of course men would prefer to have their relationships be with other men if that became considered normal.

I remember thinking that I had no idea how he was actually behaving, but I was pretty sure of what his orientation was. And he really did seem to be assuming that all men felt that way.

I remember that, too, and thinking at the time that he was revealing a ton more than he thought he was.

We interrupt this broadcast …

Two of my favorite cousins – let’s just call them Susan and Sandra – gave birth yesterday to a healthy 6lb 15oz male child that one of his mothers carried full term.

The baby couldn’t be more beautiful. Same for his moms, despite one of them having spent 31hrs in labor.

And I couldn’t be more proud.

My cousins obviously didn’t get the memo about homosexuality being the death knell that portends the extinction of the species. If I can remember, I’ll raise the issue with them when I meet the baby on an upcoming Zoom call.

As you were …